Looking for great 3rd party inks for a Canon Pro-1000

Steve J

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro1000, Prusa I3MK3
I have a Canon Pro-1000 that seems to "eat" ink, especially the chroma optimizer. Does anyone know of a good solution for this problem. Inexpensive refils, perhaps?

I use the printer infrequently, so it naturally goes through cleaning cycles, whether it needs it or not.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
On a commercial level I'm toying with supplying inks from STS-inks but other brands are also in the running including InkOwl who have a set of their own along with the refill tools and video references.

The only thing I'd say though is that the Pro-1000 reportedly has ink buffers/tanks internally that contain the original ink so you want something that is not only compatible in the sense of chemically mixable but also be very patient in waiting for the ink to establish itself in the entire feed system. You won't want to be chopping and changing.

Steve J

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro1000, Prusa I3MK3
I'm really trying to find out if anyone had used 3rd party inks in this printer and what their results were.

Any 3rd party ink has to be compatible with the OEM ink, and reasonably close color. I am also interested to understand the chip reset problem.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
I'm really trying to find out if anyone had used 3rd party inks in this printer and what their results were.
You're not alone... That's the reason I'm pondering so much as we can't afford a £1,000 printer just to test inks. Best I can suggest is look on this forum and https://www.dpreview.com/forums/1003 and see what people are saying.

I am also interested to understand the chip reset problem.
Same as the Pro-1 from what I can see.. There's very little interest and/or sufficient market to make it worth developing a chip resetter and the chip manufacturers may well prefer more income from single use chips than ARC's. Also likely to be some technical hurdles such as chip ID's being recorded by the printer, etc... that make the ARC too difficult.

Apex have got single use chips though and we have some samples pending testing...

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
'Jtoolman warns every other day to people who prints unfrequently: Never purchase a printer like the Pro1000. You'll be wasting a,lot of ink and money.