'Locked' printer

Oldie

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Envy Photo 6200 All-in-O
Hello
I'm in the UK, and for a few years have been using an HP Envy Photo 6230 all-in-one machine, which meets my modest needs quite nicely - or at least it did until a couple of days ago.
I also subscribe to HP's Instant Ink sevice - not the cheapest option, but at least ink is always there when HP's monitoring figures that I'll soon need it.

A couple of weeeks ago I received a new cartridge of black ink, with the instruction not to insert it until the printer sent me a message that it was time to so; and this week the message came one evening when I was about to print a quite important item. No problem; I've done it a number of times before, and it only takes a few minutes - lift the hinged lid, take the old cartridge out, put the new one in; that's about it.

But not this time. Try as I might, I couldn't lift the front edge of the lid more than a centimetre or so before meeting firm, unyeilding resistance. No go.

Next day I rang HP's help line (comes as part of the ink subscription scheme). The agent was very helpful and concerned, but no more successful in finding a solution than I'd been, and ended up saying that I'd have to abandon the machine and replace it with a new one, giving me the sales department's number to help me on my way.

This goes against the grain. I today's world we should be fixing, not dumping. Has anyone else met this problem and managed to find a way out?

Oldie

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Envy Photo 6200 All-in-O
Incidentally, in the details panel my machine is described as a 'Canon Envy ~' This should of course be 'HP Envy', but I haven't been able to change it. And as for being a 'Newbie to printing', well, after 30 years (all with HP machines), that's not quite right either!