Linux/CUPS + Pixma G1000/G2000 Question

SNE

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Brother DCP-T500W
Hi all,

I am looking to replace an Epson ink tank system with a Canon Pixma G1000 (my understanding is a pigment ink is used for black and the printer is really cheap locally) but Canon doesn't provide Linux drivers for the G series. I also want to have a "straight through" paper path for the printer.

Is there an equivalent Canon printer driver I can choose (for CUPS) which uses the same ink sets?

I am using Fedora Core on my desktop, not Ubuntu (although that doesn't seem to make much difference as there are others in the same predicament).

Thank you in advance.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Epson inks won't print in Canon printers

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
I guess I don't know what you're trying to do. What kind of printer do you have or want to get? And what kind of ink and supply system do you want to use? ???

If you're trying to find Linux drivers for a Canon printer, my answer applies.

SNE

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Brother DCP-T500W
Epson inks won't print in Canon printers

Hi Ink Stained Fingers,

Sorry for the confusion, there wasn't any plan to use Epson inks in a Canon printer. The statement should probably have read "looking for a printer with pigment black, hence the interest in Canon".

I am sure your reminder would have been really helpful if I wasn't aware of that though :)

SNE

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Brother DCP-T500W
Gutenprint? TurboPrint?

Hi ThrillaMozilla,

I checked out gutenprint before. Basically it will take them a few more months according to this post:
http://gutenprint.996281.n3.nabble.com/Canon-Pixma-G3000-G2000-G1000-Driver-td11043.html#a11062
These are new printers and not supported yet... it will take several months to find time for reverse-engineering based on Windows printjobs...

Turboprint was an interesting suggestion - unfortunately they appear to be in the same boat.

I figured out the Canon route was going to be a problem for Linux so have purchased a Brother printer instead. Has a really nice wireless scan capability.

SNE

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Brother DCP-T500W
They do and the print driver has a load of different print options for double sided printing (manual but you can use less ink if printing double sided), has options for photo quality prints (to be honest, I don't think the machine can achieve real photo quality prints but good enough for my purposes) and a few options for thicker card stocks and slow drying paper.

I have never used a Canon printer but I think the print quality of the Canon would be higher than the Brother (that is a total guess) when comparing the manufacturers inks which makes me sad they don't have the Linux drivers yet.

The Canon also has a straight through paper path. The Brother has a feed tray that for some reason seems to feed multiple sheets at the same time; I need to do some more testing but it is really annoying when you do a manual duplex document and the pages are no longer aligned.

The Brother runs at lightspeed compared to the Epson L300 I had.

And for those interested, if I were to refill my printer with ink from the respective manufacturers:
Canon - US$9/bottle, ?ml
Epson - US$8/bottle for 66X (dye inks for the L300), 70ml
Brother - $13/bottle, Black 108ml, colour is much smaller.

Printer purchase price is:
Canon G1000 US$167, G2000 US$215, G3000 US$268
Epson L360 US$199, L455 US$254, L805 US$336
Brother DCP-T300 US$213, DCP-T500W US$239.00, DCP-T700W US$316

With the Epson the cheapest printers come with less ink which may make it worth purchasing a better model. I made that choice for the L300 I originally purchased as it had a faster printer speed and additional ink bottles compared to the (IIRC) L2** series.