Lexmark Pinnacle Pro 901 refilling guide

OM2

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Does anyone here have a guide for refilling a Lexmark Pinnacle Pro 901?
I've searched the net and can't find anything

Thanks

Omar

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
OM2
My advice to you would be to start your very own for this printer.
The best way to find a solution for refilling a cartridge is to pull it a part first and see how it works.

It may be similar to many other cartridges but if you examine it carefully theres usually a very easy way to refill them.
When theres a new cartridge on the block someone has to be first to conquer it, so what not you.
There could be hundreds of Lexmark users just waiting for the very same answer that you asked.

Go on go for it and dont forget to use latex gloves.. :)

OM2

Printer Guru
Reaction score
The Hat said:
OM2
My advice to you would be to start your very own for this printer.
The best way to find a solution for refilling a cartridge is to pull it a part first and see how it works.

It may be similar to many other cartridges but if you examine it carefully theres usually a very easy way to refill them.
When theres a new cartridge on the block someone has to be first to conquer it, so what not you.
There could be hundreds of Lexmark users just waiting for the very same answer that you asked.

Go on go for it and dont forget to use latex gloves.. :)
gulp... i haven't quite become a master jedi refiller just yet!
but... i'm intrgued
the cartridges cost less than 5 (for black ink)... so would be ok to do as u say

can i ask: is there a 'generic' guide to refilling anywhere?
are there simple rules as to where one should make a hole or something?

thanks!

l_d_allan

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Om2,

I am completely ignorant about Lexmark printers, so "consider the source" ...

I wonder if there would be all that much of an interest level on this forum for Lexmark refilling. I just did a quick, unscientific check by searching for opening threads that mention "Canon" vs "Epson" vs "Lexmark" in the "Topic Subject Only".

Canon: ~ 1500
Epson: ~ 450
Lexmark: ~ 50

That seems consistent with my impression that this forum is almost overwhelmingly oriented to Canon printers, with significant Epson presence, and minimal Lexmark posts. I would think that a possibly valid inference is that Canon printers are most suitable for refilling, followed by Epson, and followed far behind by Lexmark and others like HP, Dell, etc. I suppose it might also reflect the market share of the various printer manufactueres, although I think those figures are more even between Canon, Epson, and HP ... just guessing.

Also, you could go through the "User List" of the forum, and look in reverse order at the "Inkjet Masters" with 100+ posts by sorting by "Number of Posts". Of those who have signatures indicating the printers they own, how many have Canons vs Epsons vs HPs vs Lexmark?

I think an issue would be having a "critical mass" of Lexmark users to share information with. There obviously is a critical mass for Canon and to a lesser extent for Epson. Not so much for HP, Dell, Lexmark, etc. (Dell and Lexmark may be same, IIRC?)

But who knows .... if there was a "Lexmark refilling guide", that might provide a "tipping point" for more Lexmark users to participate? I doubt Lexmark would cooperate with you ... understatement.

And part of the problem is that there are quite a few variables involved, so "it depends" on what is the best way to proceed with refilling. With Canon printers, I've noticed that the "best practices" has changed over the years, so a "Refilling Guidelines for Canon Printers" could become obsolete eventually.

Note that I've proposed almost exactly what you are suggesting for Canon CLI-8 cartridges ... and there was zero interest other than an inferred "Why would anyone pay attention to what a refilling semi-newbie would write?"

OM2

Printer Guru
Reaction score
great reply

lexmark printers suck! this has been my experience 10+ years ago
but: i hear they have improved :)

there are some *really* expensive lexmark inkjets, cost 250 - 350
these seem well equipped
2 important things: inks cartridges cost 4.74 + they come with a 5 year warranty

there is a special offer from a place - i don't want to advertise, selling one of these for 99
now... i actually purchased one of these for someone
they're raving about the printer and swear that it's brilliant

so... i'm scratching my head if i should get one or not
i have a a canon mp830 that i still have to rescue
but even when i do rescue - it's not wireless

also as for canons, the latest printers have ink cartridges that are not as easy to refill as the cli-8
else, i would be happy to go for one of these any day
i've searched ebay for a nearly new or even second hand canon printer (that would be easy to refill) - they go for some really good prices!!!!

so i'm left scratching my head
should i maybe consider an epson?

hmm... i'm in 2 minds about whether or not i should take the plunge and buy the lexmark

l_d_allan

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
OM2 said:
lexmark printers suck! this has been my experience 10+ years ago ... but: i hear they have improved :)
It may well be that they have improved ... the competition is brutal, and "survival of the fitest" and "invisible hand capitalism" is a factor, imo. The problem is that once a brand has "poisoned the well" on its reputation, it is very, very difficult to rebuild creditability.

2 important things: inks cartridges cost 4.74 + they come with a 5 year warranty
An oem dye cart from Canon should out-live the printer, and perhaps you if treated well with high quality ink ... maybe purged every 10+ refillings. Pigment inks .... not so much, imo.

there is a special offer from a place - i don't want to advertise, selling one of these for 99
Unless you have a monetary interest in the sale, I don't consider it spamming or advertising to make other forum members aware of special offers. But you really need to know what you are talking about to impress some of the "old heads" on this forum with a great deal(I'm pretty old, but certainly not an "old head" on this forum ... first post back in Feb iirc)

With an active CraigsList in my area, I would not even consider ~$150 USD unless it was a semi-professional grade wide format printer like the 9000-2. Now that I feel I can evaluate local used printers, and probably fix clogged heads, I have my doubts I will ever buy new again.

i've searched ebay for a nearly new or even second hand canon printer (that would be easy to refill) - they go for some really good prices!!!!
To me, that would be the LAST THING I would do. Shipping a used printer seems like a Very Bad Idea. Maybe n.i.b. (new in box) on something like a 9000-2 which are in big oversupply from the rebate, but otherwise you'll pay dearly for a CLI-8 based entry level printer n.i.b. Typically more than they went for new ... what does that tell you?

Maybe a refurbished printer from Canon itself? I've seen a number of posts that the price seems reasonable. They probably get truck-loads of printers every day that are perfectly good with a swapped print-head that cost Canon $2 to $5+ USD or so. Plus a fresh set of OEM carts that perhaps cost Canon $1 each? Seems like shipping is often included?

My 2 worth ... consider the source ... semi-newbie.

OM2

Printer Guru
Reaction score
hey great reply. but now u've put me into a dilemma - should i buy or not!

wireless: i've convinced myself i cant live without this!
a nearly new or a second hand printer i would consider

mp640: i've already got one of these, they go for nearly 90 used
mp620: a little more rare, but still manage to achieve 70+
mp540: at the moment i can get a new one for 75 on ebay - as far as i can see it's the same as my mp640 but without cd printing

canon have an ebay outlet - but at the moment, they don't have any good printers available

the lexmark i was referring to: that was on ebay as well - only 5 left as of right now!
they must have sold 2000 of this - i've been watching carefully!

and the newer canons: like the Canon PIXMA MG5250 or Canon Pixma MX420 use the CANON PGI525 BK CLI526 CMYK inks which are opaque - so not good for refilling?

edit: while i write this post, i see that canon outlet have added quite a few more models - some exactly match what i need froma printer
that's it!! i'm going for one of those :)
i'm quite happy that i didn't go for the lexmark in the end now

l_d_allan

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
OM2 said:
PGI525 BK CLI526 CMYK inks which are opaque - so not good for refilling?
That's bad enough, but the real issue is that there isn't yet an affordable, known-to-work resetter ... maybe one "real soon now".

edit: while i write this post, i see that canon outlet have added quite a few more models - some exactly match what i need froma printer
that's it!! i'm going for one of those :)
i'm quite happy that i didn't go for the lexmark in the end now
Which one? Notice any iP4500's? I'm being really lazy here, but what is the link you used to check for refurb inkjets from Canon?

OM2

Printer Guru
Reaction score
l_d_allan said:
OM2 said:
PGI525 BK CLI526 CMYK inks which are opaque - so not good for refilling?
That's bad enough, but the real issue is that there isn't yet an affordable, known-to-work resetter ... maybe one "real soon now".

Which one? Notice any iP4500's? I'm being really lazy here, but what is the link you used to check for refurb inkjets from Canon?
hmm... that was the reason why was thinking of going for the lexmark

canon? ur in the usa! so no good for u? not sure if the chargers would be compatible for u either
similar models like the ip4500 have been sold for 80 - 100 in the past - u would need to convert that into dollars of course

i'm seriously considering one seller who has the canon ip540 for 75 - he's got 8 of them for sale!

u guys get ur printers for about 30% less than us in the uk + out vat is up to 20%
at least we have better weather than you - oh... erm no, u win with that as well :(

l_d_allan

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
OM2 said:
i'm seriously considering one seller who has the canon ip540 for 75 - he's got 8 of them for sale!
I'm repeating myself from #6 of this thread .. I would not purchase a used printer that had to be shipped, and that I couldn't examine locally. CraigsList is your friend if you live in a metropolitan area in America. Please update your profile with your location ... unless you are an Iranian protester intending to use your inkjet to help bring down that "axis of evil" nation ... but don't get me started.

But "consider the source" ... I'm hardly an expert on buying used printers. I'm sure others on this forum have had success with eBay purchases, but I speculate they were lucky and/or their time is worth more to them than it is to this retired curmudgeon.

I suspect some of the n.i.b. offers for BCI-6 or CLI-8 based printers were refurbished by Canon, and marked up by the eBay vendors. Why not deal directly with Canon's ebay outlet site for refurb'ed printers?