Leacraft v. Canon U.S.A., Inc.,

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I wondered what this is about, but I found a document that explains it. The first paragraph of this document explains it well:

NATURE OF THE ACTION
This is a class action brought on behalf of all persons who purchased Canon “All-
in-One” Printers.1 Throughout its marketing and advertising, including on the product packaging
for the All-in-One Printers, Canon claims the All-in-One Printers are multifunction, “all-in-one”
devices that can print, copy, scan, and in some cases, fax documents. As opposed to the “single
function” printers it sells, Canon calls these multifunction devices a “3-in-1” or “4-in-1” for the
fact they purportedly provide three or four functions. In truth, the All-in-One Printers do not scan
or fax documents when the devices have low or empty ink cartridges (the “Design Issue”), and
Canon’s advertising claims are false, misleading, and reasonably likely to deceive the public.

Artefil

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
MX495, MG7550, MG5650, MB2050
Yes I know that the action is against Canon, and concerning AIO printers specially when one cartridge is empty, you can't use the scanner. But do you know if there's any news concerning the action ?

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I tried searching for news about this case, but when I found something that might have news there was a "Please log in to see further details".

No resetter exists for the combined sponge and printhead cartridges and for the newest single ink cartridges, but you can print with refilled cartridges by disabling ink monitoring. I wonder if you can scan, copy and fax with ink monitoring disabled?

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I wonder if you can scan, copy and fax with ink monitoring disabled?
That’s another interesting question ?..:hu

I only use my AIO to print with using ARC Chips, so I’ll never be able to give an answer..

Artefil

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
MX495, MG7550, MG5650, MB2050
I tried searching for news about this case, but when I found something that might have news there was a "Please log in to see further details".

No resetter exists for the combined sponge and printhead cartridges and for the newest single ink cartridges, but you can print with refilled cartridges by disabling ink monitoring. I wonder if you can scan, copy and fax with ink monitoring disabled?
It is not exactly the purpose of the action which is : Canon never said that you're unable to scan when a cartridge (any of them) is empty. The customer doesn't want to use a cartridge even a refilled one but his scanner. Imagine an Iphone in which you can't take picture because you haven't inserted an Apple SIM card

Latest posts