Laser printing

Need some advice on getting a cheap laser printer i would like to print my own designs and foil them in my crafting

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Need some advice on getting a cheap laser printer i would like to print my own designs and foil them in my crafting
When you buy a cheap laser printer, you get what you pay for, modest priced lasers will last for years, so keep that in mind.

If your intending to print on card stock of any sort, you going to need a printer with a reasonable straight through paper path, they all have a paper cartridge underneath, but what you need is a rear paper and envelope feeder.

Your best bet is to visit computer stores that sells printers and take alone a sample of the material you intend to use and to test the input and output without a jam occurring.

Another thing to watch out for is the type of toner that these printers use, there is as far as I know two types and one is far better for foil adhesion.

Come back and let us know how you get on in your quest..
P.S. for your type of work its best to stick with OEM toner.

Fenrir Enterprises

Print Addict
Reaction score
I have a B&W (P1505) laser and a color laser (Laserjet Pro 200 m276nw) both running with whatever the cheapest aftermarket toners on Amazon with a decent amount of reviews are and both of them work fine for foiling. Depending on the paper you are using, I have found once you print, cover the paper with a silicone sheet (or an empty label sheet) and run it through the laminator on its own. This is more important if foiling on a transparency. It 'smooths' the toner and reduces the 'pinhole' gaps. If you're foiling on regular paper it doesn't always work unless it's semi-gloss or higher, but it's always something you can try to make the foil effect work better. I still have the OEM carts for the color laser and using them didn't make much of a difference. The more important thing is to set it to Best Resolution/Best Gloss/No Compression/Slow Printing/whatever your printer driver says is 'better' AND to make sure you have the paper type set right. Even though label sheets aren't much thicker than plain paper if I forget to change it to Label the toner easily rubs off.

Latest posts