L1800 - ecosolvent - new printhead???

Stuart21

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson L355, L1800
I have an Epson L1800, fitted to a Chinese flatbed; printing ecosolvent ink from Korea (South), onto plastic items. I just fitted a new printhead - sourced from 3rd party in China - but looks like an original

I have cleaned the printhead a number of times, also powerflushed, but not getting any better than below. Actually, this also looks like the problem I had with the previous printhead!

Anyone know what could cause this? Grateful for any guidance!

Thanks, Stuart.
New Printhead 2018:02:09.jpg

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I would assume that this problem is ink-related, e.g. the solvent drying pretty quickly. I have not used such inks
but I would try the 'normal' cleaning methods but with a clear eco-solvent, a cleaning agent compatible with such inks,
and doing first the soaking of the printhead from underneath with a piece of kitchen paper soaked with such agent and shifting the printhead onto it for a while. It that does not change anything then going the next step removing the dampers from the printhead carriage and using a syringe with a short piece of tube to connect to the ink receptacles and slowly pulling and pushing the solvent out and in several times.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Could you have gotten a dodgy refurbished print head and not a new at all...
This can also explain the bad nozzle check... :hu

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
Air...wait 24 hours, try again and post..

Stuart21

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson L355, L1800
Thanks for all your suggestions - but nothing is improving it. It is not air as I bleed the head with cleaner before putting it together.

I am thinking it must be electrical as nothing I do will give a good pattern. Used up two printheads and 1 mainboard last 48 hours -

Have checked FFCs - no breaks, no shorts -

Had this prob on an off for months. ;-(

& can't get Epson service (even paying) cos item is modified -

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I still think it's ink related - not the correct consistency for this type of printhead, but this only could be tested if you are able to transition the printhead to run with regular dye inks for a short while. You could use refill cartridges which fit into the printhead carriage instead of the dampers Epson is using in the L800 so you won't need to change inks in the tanks and tubes.

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
If the pattern changes from nozzle check to nozzle check, it's air.

Stuart21

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson L355, L1800
Well I have found the problem. Not printheads, not mainboards - it is in the tube leading from the cavity below the printhead when the printhead parks (there are 2 tubes - one goes to the pump, the other goes to a valve of some kind. Looks like this valve was not closing (or tube split) - so pumps vacuum was not getting to the printhead. Pinched off this pipe, cleaning worked well, after 2 - 3 times, and a soak of the face of the head with thinner, all jets now firing!

Over3 months! & as I said, Epson don't want to help. Shame, because as an inventor, I have some things I would like to discuss with them ;-(

Thanks you guys,
Stuart.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Thanks for the feedback, that's one of those errors which are quite impossible to diagnose remotely, you have been persistent enough to find it.

berttheghost

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon pixma pro 9500, pro-1
There is a lesson here. Always clean and check the purge unit (routinely or in the case of a clog). If a purge doesn't remove the cleaning fluid from the purge pads, don't expect it to be pulling ink from a printhead.