Kirkland Paper -- now made in Mexico

cwjones

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I've been using Kirkland Paper for the last year or so with very good results on my canon 4500 and pro 9000. That paper was manufactured in the US. I just recently picked up another package and noticed that this one is made in Mexico. Does anyone have any experience using this new Mexico-manufactured Kirkland paper? Any idea who the manufacturer is?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

on30trainman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
A little over a year ago it was reported that Kirkland paper was now listed as being Made in Mexico - the store here in eastern PA actually had it in stock at that time. A few months later the Made in US paper showed up again and is what has been carried here. Was in Costco on the past Thursday but didn't really look at the paper stock - just noticed that there was a good supply of the 8.5" X 11" paper. Will be going back next week and will check what flavor is there. Maybe your store had some of the Made in Mexico on hand and put it out for sale. Never did hear anybody that actually tested and compared it.

Steve W.

brady38

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I just purchased both 4x6 (Made in USA) and 8 1/2 x 11 (Made in Mexico) paper from Costco. I am printing from a Canon i9900 with Hobbycolor ink, OEM virgin carts through Lightroom. I printed about a dozen different prints using both sizes of paper for each print and as far as I can tell, the density and colors are identical from one size to the other size. I am very pleased with Costco paper, as it is the only paper that gives me a perfect match between my monitor and final print. Of all the other papers I have used, Canon paper is the worst. I also found that Ilford Printasia Premium Photo Glossy Paper also matches Costco paper which give me 13x19 size. I use the same Lightroom print settings throughout. Due to the fact that Ilford paper is so identical to Costco makes you suspicious.

Dave B

cwjones

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Looks like I won't have to worry about the Mexican-made paper.

I had read that prior to Mexico and the United States, Kirkland photo paper was manufactured in Europe (I believe it was Switzerland but don't quote me on that). I had also read that the only photo paper manufacturing plant in that country was an Ilford plant. So I'm not surprised if some of that Kirkland paper you've used looks a lot like Ilford paper!

Thanks again.

fish

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I have used the Kirkland paper (USA) with Hobbicolors ink and tested against Kodak Premium. Colors were very similar when first printed but the Kirkland prints fade very quickly (approx 1 month in indoor exposure) while the Kodak prints still look great. Prints on swellable paper last longest (for fading). Prints made mid-December are very much faded. I have been using the Kirkland paper for proofs or for prints that I don't require longevity.

I have recently switched to IS inks from mikling with good results and no bleeding problems with the pigment black that I had with Hobbicolors.

BTW, prints were made on Canon MP830 and 9900.

on30trainman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
brady38/cwjones,
The original Kirkland paper was made in Switzerland and was thought to be Ilford paper and was packed in 125 sheet boxes. No idea who makes the newer Made in US paper for Costco which comes in 150 sheet boxes. I still have a full box of the Made in Switzerland paper - probably should use it up. I do see a slight difference between prints for the Swiss and US papers. Mostly the prints on the Swiss paper seem to be darker - using the same printer profile for both. It is a profile made with Profile Prism and the US paper.

fish,
I am surprised that you are having such a quick fading problem with Kirkland paper and Hobbicolor inks. I had been using Hobbicolor UW-8 inks for several years and did see some fading but only on prints exposed to direct sunlight. About 1.5 years ago I did an unscientific fading test using Hobbicolor UW-8 inks, Canon OEM inks and Kirkland US and Swiss paper. The prints were exposed to direct afternoon sun for several weeks. The Hobbicolor inks did fade faster than the Canon inks, but not as drastically as it seems for you. The Kirkland Swiss paper also performed slightly better. I, also, have recently changed to IS inks from mikling and am very happy with the results. But no fading tests yet.

The paper I have liked best was the Epson glossy that Costco used to sell at a good price - that was before they started selling their own Kirkland brand. Unfortunately with companies like Costco you can't count on them selling the same product for an extended period of time. They used to sell a coffee (Hometown brand from Pittsburgh) that I really liked. But economics/pricing from Hometown caused it to be dropped. Talked to Hometown via e-mail and they told me they couldn't meet Costco pricing demands any more. Bought direct until the prices more than doubled.

Steve W.

fish

Printer Guru
Reaction score
on30trainman,

My fading problems may be due to ozone, or possibly higher UV because of Hawaiian sun (take the good with the bad). Prints were not exposed to direct sunlight, but left in my living room with natural and flourescent light - no overkill by either. I had debated getting a pigment printer but am holding off and priting important stuff by lab process on Fiji crystal archive paper.

For fading, the Kodak paper seems to hold up much better than the Kirkland. I will test a better quality paper than Kodak Premium, but for now I have three packs of paper Kirkland, Ilford, and Kokak) to use up.

Regards,

fish

on30trainman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Was at the Costco in King of Prussia, PA this afternoon and looked at the Kirkland glossy 8.5X11 paper stock. Almost all of it was Made in Mexico, but there were a few boxes of the Made in US still in stock. Grabbed one to have on hand - already had one extra full box. Until I hear some additional reports on the Made in Mexico I think I want to use the US flavor. Have a profile for that paper. But may be forced to eventually switch - may need new printer profile.

Steve W.

drb_52

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Any update on the quality of the Mexican Kirkland paper?
I bought a bunch of the USA stuff two years ago and have let my Costco membership lapse. Starting to run low on the paper and considering getting the membership to purchase more but will not bother if the paper is not as good. I'll get a Sam's club membership instead and try the Ilford paper.
If you've used the Mexican Kirkland paper, please let me know what you think of it. Thanks

jjbruja

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson R300, Photo 1400, 730
My last box of the Kirkland 8 1/2 x 11 I have almost used up was made in Switzerland and it gave me almost identical results to the Iflford papers. I remember the paper being made in the U.S.A. when I last past by the isle in the store some time ago. The other day I went to replenish my supply and indeed noticed that it was made in Mexico. Since I don't know of any good reliable photo paper manufacturer in Mexico I'm hesitant to try the stuff.
Anybody have any experience with it using an Ilford or Kodak profile ?? I had very good results using the Kodak Pro paper profile on my Epson R300.