Just another fade test

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I printed these photo prints out 3 months ago and left two of them in a south facing window ever since.

I coated one with water based floor varnish just using a paper tissue and quickly covering the image area
(Real scientific like) and the other one got none (Just like the little piggy)

5128_coated_new_1.jpg

1 Has the varnish coating on it
5128_uncoated_new1.jpg

2 Has nothing on it, as is
5128_no_exposure_new_1.jpg

3 Was keep indoors for the duration.

There is no real difference in the coated one and the other one that didnt get any exposure to the daylight,
(Scanned images) but holding them together in my hand it is eastier to see the variations in some of the colours.

The varnish does make a bit of a difference (Not much) so I reckon if photos were not hung in direct sunlight
they should last that bit longer if coated with this stuff.

I was planning on using some raw gum Arabic for the same test later.

5128_varnish.jpg

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
It looks to me like the varnish did a good job of protecting the print. You notice some small faded areas, where the print appears not to have been coated. Many varnishes contain UV filters, so the protection is double. The varnish protects against both UV fading and fading caused by ozone and other gases.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Gum arabic: don't do it, as it will flake and crumble from the surface when dried.

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
Gum arabic is a standard ingredient for touching up photos. Ansel Adams recommend using it mixed with India ink. I have 40-year-old prints that are touched up with it.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
pharmacist said:
Gum arabic: don't do it, as it will flake and crumble from the surface when dried.
Sounds like you tried it already; I intended to use it 50/50 with distilled water so it wouldnt crack..:hide

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
On second thought, I'm sure it depends on the surface. Mine are gelatin-silver prints, obviously, and the gum arabic is there to match the gloss. I can't imagine coating the whole surface with it.

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Our local Michaels Arts and Craft store sella spray meant for Photography and Art work. It claims to be have UV protection.
It's about $7 for a regula spray paint sized can.
I think I will try it.

Joe

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Hi The Hat

Could you please tell which the inks and paper used in the test were? IS dye inks and Sihl glossy paper? If the paper was glossy, how does the silk varnish affect gloss?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
PeterBJ said:
Hi The Hat

Could you please tell which the inks and paper used in the test were? IS dye inks and Sihl glossy paper? If the paper was glossy, how does the silk varnish affect gloss?
Hi PeterBj
It was indeed I.S. inks on Sihl glossy photo paper, sorry for not mentioning it before.
The varnish does tone down the shine alright, and leaves the surface similar to a satin finish..