I've a MP970 and it is printing streaks

yorkshirekid

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon / MP970
I've a MP970 and itis printing streaking in colour/normal. Prints fine in colour/high quality. I've done ALL the usual cleaning/alignment stuff. Taken it out and done a thorough clean. Same issue. Then I noticed that one of the PH washer / seal has a small hole in it.
How did that get there?
Do members feel that if I replace that one washer my streak issue will go away?
Boy, it's impossible to find a washer. Canon have NOT been one bit helpful. I even called them and the guy looked at his sheet, which said 'unrepairable', and quoted that. He refused to help further.
I saw this online and wondered if it might help? https://youtu.be/qXssziHBViw
Advice willing accepted please.
Cheers

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Could you please upload a scan of the nozzle check to show which nozzle(s) are missing, and if possible a close up photo of the washer/seal with the small hole to be clear where it is located and which color is affected .

yorkshirekid

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon / MP970
Thanks for the reply. I have egg on my face though - the hole has gone! Thinking this through, I can only surmise that it was a drop of water that I thought was a hole. BUT, I dried the PH out thoroughly, so I'm bemused. The image shows the PH as it is today, as I washed it out (yet) again. I did a couple of shots (circle1 and circle2), to show what happens when I print in normal and high; high gives zero streaking.
I don't know what you mean by 'nozzle missing'.

Attachments

• test.jpg
    test.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 318
  • circle2.png
    circle2.png
    539.3 KB · Views: 324
  • circle1.png
    circle1.png
    377.5 KB · Views: 248
  • printHead.jpg
    printHead.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 316

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
It appears that your nozzle check shows only one half of the Magenta nozzle print band (the bottom half). The top half is not printing Note the black bars are also a different color on the upper half. These bars are black from a mixture of colors (missing Magenta in the upper half of the bars). This appears to be a print head electrical/electronic failure. Your high quality (bandless) print may be being produced by the driver using the Light Magenta exclusively.

You can try cleaning the print head contacts, but I doubt it will make any difference. You have already removed and reinstalled the head several times, which should "wipe" them clean.

Should you elect to install a new print head ($$$), I recommend you open the print driver and select "use quite mode at all times" to help lengthen the life of the replacement print head.

Last edited:

yorkshirekid

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon / MP970
Yes thank you. I've printed loads of those sheets so I already knew that. What I do not know for 100% certainty, is what is exactly wrong with my printer and how to fix it. What would be good is if this forum had a second hand section to it so we can buy/sell parts without the massive costs associated with eBay or Canon etc.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
there is a decoder/driver chip in the printhead itself driving the heating elements in the nozzles, and a range of those nozzles cannot be addressed anymore. That is a chip failure, one of the typical failure modes of Canon printheads after quite some use, you may continue to use this printhead to print text or replace it or consider a new printer with options the current model does not have. I would only recommend a genuinely new Canon printhead, there is no way for a user to measure the residual usage time of refurbished printheads offered by various sources.

yorkshirekid

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon / MP970
Ok thanks - that nails it for me.

CAN SOMEONE RECOMMEND A NEW PRINTER please?
The features I require are:
  1. ethernet
  2. prints cd\dvd
  3. not A3, just A4
  4. inkjet or laser or ink task [like Epson]
  5. colour
I've looked and looked and I can't find something to suit. I wish there was a site that allowed us to tick boxes for features and a range of suitable choices that were filtered out to make a choice easier. I've not found one.
I'd really like another MP970 - this thing has been with me for over 10years and it has been solid until now - I've looked after it, so I'm sad to read confirmation of an electrical issue. Heck - I've got over $200 worth of colour inks on my shelf! I wonder what the current version of the MP970 is?

If anyone can recommend a printer, as above, I'd be appreciative.

Thanks ALL who have replied and helped me to date. :)

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
If you continue to use high quality printing, keep using what you have...

yorkshirekid

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon / MP970
Thanks all.
Decided I'd get a New Year sale special and now have a TS9160. Hopefully, this'll last me the next 10 years as the MP970 did.