It may be just an AIO but...

Drjim

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Cannon ts9020 pro100
..the photo output is beyond amazing to me.
Its a TS9020 printing on pro-luster with setup oem carts. Will compare with PC inks later in the week.

Attachments

• 20170830_184941.jpg
    20170830_184941.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 273

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
TS9020 printing on pro-luster with setup oem carts. Will compare with PC inks later in the week.
To use your printer successfully, you’ll need to refill OEM carts because compatibles are not that reliable and can cause all sorts of flow issues, your set-up cart would be next to useless for refilling, i.e. you going to need a bigger boat, XL’s... ;)

Drjim

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Cannon ts9020 pro100
Report on 2nd day with TS9020 and PrecColor refillable cli270/271 carts and ink.

Observations:

(1) when an OEM cart is first inserted it says "genuine Canon cart"
(2) IF an OEM cart is removed then reinserted it says "used genuine Canon cart"

(3) The behavior of the refillable is exactly the same. The printer declares it genuine Canon.

(4) When filling the new carts I noticed that about 2/3 of the ink goes into the sponge. Then I filled the reservoir about 3/4 full.

(5) Then I printed 20 or 25 pages of solid cyan to drive the cart to the low indicator. About 1/3 level was shown. Upon removing the tank was empty. So some ink may have been drawn from the sponge.(bad)

(6) Removing and reinserting the cartridge shows full. So a reset occurred at "low" not "empty". (This printer blinks slow at low and fast at empty)

(7) My conclusion is that topping up should be done when carts show 1/3 below full to avoid sponge ink usage. The tank should be nearly empty at that point.

(8) The printer will decide low when the count is low or the optical sensor indicates an empty reserror (don't know yet).
At that point (I believe) the printer writes "low" or zero or whatever to the chip. The only "smarts" in the chip is to ignore that data and reset.

The conclusion: check the carts any time 1/3 is used and top up.

It would seem that one could make a resetter for an "auto reset" chip if we knew the protocol. It would be far more convenient.

Nothing complicated is going on. Canon's chip is probably just a dumb serial flash since it just records current estimated level. It doesn't need to be "smart".

BTW the PC inks are indistinguishable from OEM in the 29-30 prints I made to use up ink. Superb!

Last edited:

Drjim

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Cannon ts9020 pro100
Adding a little science I made some measurements.
Empty cart w/ plug,no clip 11gm
Sponge full, resvr. empty 17 gm/no clip
Sponge and resvr. full 22 gm/no clip

So cart holds 11 ml with sponge holding 6 and resvr. holding 5.

If low occurs at 20% then that implies 2.2 ml left or empty resvr with more than half the sponge depleted. So the low indicator is too late.

1.Top up after a reset.
2.Topup at half full (minor loss from sponge)
3 Always top up when low is declared. A reset will occur when cart is replaced.

Should work safely

Or just top up at will and ignore the indicators until low is declared.

Generally a PITA but economical.

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Or just top up at will and ignore the indicators until low is declared.
All these refills have a negative effect on the chip, if you constantly keep resetting the chip when unnecessary then you can end the life of that chip prematurely, try not to over think this refilling issue, just refill when the reservoir is empty works just fine...

If it ain’t broke then don’t try too...

Drjim

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Cannon ts9020 pro100
A reset can only occur when the printer decides that the cart is low- that is, a cartfull has been consumed. The user cannot control this.

So there are no excessive resets beyond normal use.

Its just about refill strategy and no more.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
If the chip counts down to Low regardless of topping off, then why top off?

Each time you pull a cartridge out of the print head you may trigger a maintenance purge of ink resulting in more/earlier required resets of the ARC chips. Every time the print head sees a new cartridge, the reset ARC chip in this case, an maintenance purge of ink is also triggered.

@The Hat says just pulling a cartridge out of a print head and returning it into the print head without altering the chip in any fashion will not trigger a maintenance ink purge. It could be the sounds we hear are just the wiper blades scraping away or some other non-wasting of ink actions performed. Unfortunately, I can not verify this and do not recall evidence presented on the forum in the past, such as weighing a cartridge before and after.

The only scale I have is a bathroom scale and not suitable for even that purpose. It is evil and lies. ;):gig

Drjim

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Cannon ts9020 pro100
Because "low" on my printer (ts9020) is NOT announced when the reservoir tank is empty (the optical sensor) but sometime after that - this means half the sponge is empty. We do not want this to happen. So refill the reservoir at half indication and then when low (or empty) occurs.

I would believe that the behavior of every model is different as the firmware certainly is.

Again, everything I said is for the TS9020. And by observation it does not purge unless it's knowledge of the ink level changes. It has no way of knowing that a top off occured. It just reads what it last wrote to the chip.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Because "low" on my printer (ts9020) is NOT announced when the reservoir tank is empty (the optical sensor) but sometime after that
Do you get a warning before that? If so, what level is the ink in the cartridge then?

Also, are the warnings given for remaining volume of ink in the cartridge the same for OEM Canon chips and your ARC chips?

And by observation it does not purge unless it's knowledge of the ink level changes.
Observation how? Have you weighed a cartridge after pulling one and then replacing it back into the print head, shutting the cover, letting the printer perform whatever it does to ready itself for operation, then opening the lid and taking the same cartridge out and weighing it for comparison?

Additionally, sometimes whatever maintenance functions occur after pulling and replacing a cartridge do not happen until you send a print job to the printer, so this should be accounted for as well in testing. I do not recall measurements for that situation posted on the forum either.

A Service Manual for your printer most likely lists the conditions a maintenance purge occurs and how much ink is purged for that operation. I have yet to see a Canon Service Manual describe the situation I am discussing. No surprise there.