It is coming: Inkrepublic.com's Epson R2000/R3000 CISS system

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Just to inform that Inkrepublic.com has been working hard for a working CISS system for the latest Epson R2000 and the R3000 printers. It should be available the next few weeks:

http://www.inkrepublic.com/R2000.asp
http://www.inkrepublic.com/R3000.asp

This very exciting to have a good alternative to expensive original ink. I hope there will be a workaround to redirect the waste ink tube into an external bottle. Sadly Epson did not include a user replacable waste ink tank, just like the Epson Pro 3800/3880. I might get this printer too in the future, since there is a good refillable alternative and the IRK4-nano pigment served me very well: even better in gloss compared to the original Epson K3 inkset and excellent Dmax for their photo black pigment ink. I hope they will supply their latest batch of IRK4-nano with this system: the first batches a few years ago did not render good reds (giving a more orangy then clear deep reds), but the latest batch produced in march 2011 should have solved this problem, making their ink even better.

Chakonari

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Nothing worth mentioning.
That was fast. Looks a lot like the system I saw in a video a few days ago(the system is not available yet):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNkqAJGS8xs

To me the video looks like they just stuck a system that physically fits in and are now taking "pre orders". Nothing about chips or resetting. Does anyone know the people behind the video(saveink.com)?
Thanks for the post pharmacist. Visiting nifty-stuff and searching for "r3000 refill" has become part of my (almost hourly) routine :caf - even though I don't have my printer(yet) :lol: ...anyway, I shall sleep well tonight :lol:

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
It appears that several top companies are also "Magically" going to be offering "Systems" for both the R2000 and R3000 at about the same timeframes. Will they all be from the same source? I did speak with inkjetfly and inkjetcarts and they said they will have both a ciss and refilables by the end of July or beginning of Aug.
Inkjetcarts' refillables are supposed to be larger in volume which means the ink compartment door will probably have to rigged to remain open to allow the room for the extra volume carts. We shall see!

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
I think a CISS might be a bit too much for such a printer. A good refillable cartridge with auto reset chip might be better. In fact: the printer is defacto already CISS based. Both Inkjetcarts, Conecolor and Inkrepublic.com are basically selling the same CISS/Refillable cartridge systems, like the refillable cartridges for the Epson Pro 3800/3800 and the damper based CISS systems, which are ultimately the most reliable CISS systems for pigment inks. The very nature of the Epson printers, make these best fit for using a CISS system. As you have noticed Inkrepublic.com only sells Epson refill systems, no Canon, due to the nature of the printhead and the cartridges, which does not allow reliable operation when a CISS has been installed.

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
I agree with the The Pharmacist. If they can come up with slightly larger capacity refillable carts, like some of the R3880 refillables systems out there, that would probably be the most logical way to go. I think the native OEM carts are still a bit too small and I'd be going through several carts every week at the volume I print. The ideal situation in my way of thinking, would be Full Auto Reset chips and carts that are fillable without removal from the printer. At this time the Later 700 and onward series of Artisan all in one printers use basically the same ink delivery system as the new R3000. Separate ink cartridge bays with a CISS like flat ink delivery tubing which brings the ink to the printhead. I have one Artisan with refillable dampers, flip the little fill tab, fill with ink, close tab, reset, done! The other artisan is currently on a ciss and that's working even better. It's my current 4x6 and 5x7 photo printer. I even rigged the lid sensors to allow me to print with the printer lid fully open. Don't ask me why I like that! It's the weird in me.

Anyway, I am looking forward to what the near future will bring for these new printers. I need a printer for better B&W printing and this will make it affordable, I hope!

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Just recieved an email from Ross Hardie of INkjetcarts. They are planning on a refillable Damper system for the R3000 that will hold one ounce each. I my calculations are correct, that's in the ball park of about 40ml each. Not bad

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
@jtoolman: it depends which ounce: a troy ounce will be about 28 ml and I think this is the amount the original cartridges can hold. I find it rather particular you always mention Ross Hardie and Inkjetcarts without the slightest criticism on the products: are you working for inkjetcarts ??? I have used several products and most are pretty good with some less positive things. I am now using Inkrepublic.com's IRK4-nano: yes it good and nice, but I am not very happy with the previous batch which gives me that orangy teint in saturated reds. I have now a more recent batch and according to Inkrepublic.com this should sort out that problem, but I am critical until I have tested it. Since I am still using the old batch, I will not comment on this, until I have tested it and having it reported back later on. I use both Inktec and Hobbicolors UW-8 inks and KMP pigment inks in my printers and all of these products are from different companies, without the slightest link to each other. And I am more or less quite happy with the products of these refill inks/companies with some minor issues. You can read my posts back to several years ago and make your own conclusions.

If someone only hallelujahs about certain products and companies.....It make me very suspicious about the intentions of such types of posts, especially if there is not the sligthest negative experiences.

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
WOW Pharmacist! Once again you insinuate that I am "Working" for a company and trying to push a product. No such thing I asure you. I am actually VERY,,, no, 100% satisfied with two particular companies and their products. I guess you would still want me to find some sort of faults with either of them in order to "Balance" my oppinion which I assume you would preffer to be more neutral in nature. For that I apologize. I do have a close relationship with Ross. Why? His excellent customer service and whilling to answer every stupid question I throw his way. Now why would I not be happy with that and want to tell the world about it. specially the new folks begining to exploring printing? Obviously you old "Salt" have seen and heard it all. You can tell by your 1000+ posts!

As for the "Troy" ounce possibility regarding the volume of the new dampers coming out for the R3000, let me assure we are talking about "REAL" ounces. As is 32 oounces equals a quart of milk!

When I find fault with a product I DO NOT publicize it on forums as I think that is improper behaviour.
I do Hallelujah, as you say, those products that I find to be outstanding in order to let newbies to not make mistakes spending hard earned money on the ton of garbage that's being peddleded oout there. If that is a crime,,, well,,, then I guess I amd guilty and possibly don't belong here!

Cheers!!!

rodbam

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 9000 mk2 & Pro 9500
I've only used IS inks since I started refilling a few months & I'm overjoyed at how good my prints looked using Canon profiles. I've just bought a colormunki photo to calibrate my monitor & profile my prints so I hoping for even better output. I can only comment in a layman way that IS inks in a Canon dye printer gets fantastic results & I don't feel any great need to try every quality ink on the market just to give my glowing praise for IS inks a scientific basis.
Ross Hardie may have to some here extreme ideas but I have enjoyed watching his how to videos & I do get a strong sense of his honesty & helpfulness. In one video I watched where he was showing some new compatible chipped cartridge where the magenta wouldn't be accepted by the printer, he removed it & said it looked like some ink had got onto the chip so he cleaned it & the printer rejected it again. I think this happened a third time before it then started working.
My point with this story is how many in this industry would have left all this in the video my guess is not one, they would have edited it out to show the cartridge they're trying to sell you working first time in. This leads me to think that Ross Hardie has nothing to hide & I would find it reassuring seeing the expert having the same problems as countless others who use compatible cartridges & it shows how to eventually get it working again.
Do Epson have videos on how to unclog the print heads on a newly released printer? Clogs, what clogs:)

irvweiner

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Gents, an ounce comes in several flavors: Mass or Volume.
The Troy or Apothecary ounce is a measure of mass and is=31.1034768 grams
The Avoirdupois ounce is also a measure of mass and is=28.3495231 grams

The Fluid ounce is a measure of Volume and is=29.5735295625 cubic centimeters or milliliters.

A fluid ounce can only be assigned a 'weight' when the volume (cm^3) is multiplied by the fluid's density (gms/cm^3) yielding the weight in grams of the quantity of fluid contained.

My discussion here is restricted the SI (standard international units) and the many local flavors: Imperial, Canadian, US or previous medieval units.

I hope this resolves prevoius discussions and differences.

irv weiner