Is there an inkjet printer that can produce sharp texts like offset one?

Does your inkjet printer have issue with sharp texts too?

• Mine is so crystal clear

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

sampheap

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
As you can see in the picture below, the top is by an inkjet printer and the bottom is offset, offset always get sharp texts whilst the inkjet one produces blurry or sticky texts print not to mention once the texts against the dark background, it will be blurry as hell!

I am wondering if this is the limitation of this inkjet printer (Epson 1400, R1800) of mine which can be improved or tweaked? Or out there such printer to compete with offset printing existed?

Attachments

• IMG_0155.JPG
    IMG_0155.JPG
    169.8 KB · Views: 1,860

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
which paper are you using - normal copy paper ? The fibrous structrure of normal paper let the ink spread - bleed a little bit at the edges - you get better print quality on coated papers suited for inkjet print, they are available double and single sided, in various paper weights from 90 gr and above, or you look for a laser printer .

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
My simple answer to that is to switch to Canon printers, they have always given me good quality sharp text, but as @Ink stained Fingers said, paper can play as big part in your output quality.

Laser text as we know is very sharp but a Postscript Laser even blows that away, lastly it purely down to what price you are willing to pay for quality from both your printer and your paper..

sampheap

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
I am thinking of switching to Canon too, and I am looking for one from $300-$800. Can you help recommend one with crispy texts? Have you tested the reversed text, white text on black background?

@Ink stained Fingers,the paper is 300g glossy coated.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
what is the format you are looking for - A3 like ? White text on black background - you always have the problem of the dot gain, that a black line will print wider than a white line on black. You rather should look for another trick - like widening the letters a little bit - printing the white text in bold, and it will come out as normal, or I somehow , long time ago, have seen some utility to shade the letters, to unsharp them, to add one pixel width of gray around them so that the dot gain will grow into the gray , and not into the white of the letter

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
which paper are you using - normal copy paper ? The fibrous structrure of normal paper let the ink spread - bleed a little bit at the edges - you get better print quality on coated papers suited for inkjet print, they are available double and single sided, in various paper weights from 90 gr and above, or you look for a laser printer .

Pigment inks are less spread in the paper. I have an ancestral Canon office inkjet (MX7600, they tried again with the Maxify) and the text print quality is very good.
Once printed a A3 Excel sheet on my PRO9500, quite a difference (under the magnifying glass) with the consumer dye printers.

martin0reg

Printer Master
Reaction score
Yes, canon printers with a dedicated "text black" ink channel, like most consumer models, have a visibly better, sharper and deeper black, compared to typical 6 channel epson photo printers.
It's a pigment black ink, but not like (pigment) photo black, it is like (pigment) matte black - which makes the sharp deep blacks.
Not the best for coated (semi)glossy though, because it may rubb off, but the best for matte or plain paper.

sampheap

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Adding shade sound like a great trick; and I will need to see this.
@palombian, you meant this type of printer can give excellent texts on the dark background? http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NNVDPVO
@martin0reg, I have seen Epson (Epson EcoTank ET-4450) has employed such PBK for textst too, but how does it perform when the texts are on the graphic, can the printer know this?

Update: I was introduced to this PIXMA iX6560 for $250. What do you think?

Last edited:

Latest posts