Is there a way to purge air out of my old Epson 3800, or is it RIP?

wannaby

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SureColor P800 & 3800
THE SHORT: My Epson 3800 nozzle check for MK is suddenly totally blank. This came about immediately after a MK/PK swap with air probably introduced from a drained PK cart. I have been printing 1-2x times a week for a year+ and taking nozzle checks to believe it isn't a clog.

QUESTION: How can I purge air from the MK/PK system, wherever it may be (lines, damper, head)??? Or is the print head dead and should I cut my losses (time and ink) and use this printer for documents (which isn't such a bad choice in my case)?

THE LONG:
- My Epson 3800 printer was printing well with refillable carts (IJM). However, I had only been printing with MK black ink because my Epson 3800 has the DREADED MK/PK switch/damper/valve failure. All was good with MK.
- Then in January, I inadvertently printed with PK and canceled the print during the swapping processes. I sent another print with MK ink, but a nozzle check showed missing MK dashes. I ran two Auto Nozzle checks which ended in errors and filled up my maintenance cart. Still some missing dashes, but non-critical pastel prints were acceptable.

- Last week, I inadvertently printed with PK again. Duh! I canceled the print and submitted one with MK. A manual nozzle check is now Totally Blank for MK. Tried the damp paper towel under the heads overnight, but no change and actually introduced missing nozzle checks for the other colors which used to be around 100%. Tried printing a full sheet of solid black which comes out gray, but nozzle check for MK still blank.

- I checked the MK cart which is over 1/2 full and the exit chambers are also 1/2 full so cart is properly primed. Unfortunately, I discovered the PK cart was empty. Ugh! It probably drained during one of the switching processes. That's why I believe air has been introduced.

I am asking the community if there is a reasonable way to eliminate air in the Black lines/damper/print head?

Here are some OPTIONS I'm aware of:
- Auto Nozzle checks? Would this help at all or risk further burn out the head?
- Power Clean? Even more burnout?
- Fill the empty PK cart with Piezoflush and purchase Quad Tone RIP. Then flush the PK channel? I'd have to purchase Piezoflush and QTR so I'm reluctant to try this if it's a long shot.
- Other ideas not on my radar?

If it looks like I killed the MK/PK printhead, I might just cut my losses and run this old printer for color documents and casual high-key prints... until it finally runs out of ink. Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited:

Latest posts