Is it time to re-think 3D printers ?...

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I originally taught 3D printers were a very expensive item to buy.
I also figured they are very hard to use or to make anything decent out of them, after all it was only flimsy plastic.

Another problem was justifying the very high running costs, not to mention the expensive repairs. !
If I did get one, how on earth would I learn how to design anything remotely usable, functionable and practical, Now I’ve got it, what the hell do I do with it !.

I’ve started this post with quite a few questions that I originally had about 3D printers, but since getting one then two, I’ve found all the above questions were widely inaccurate and not true.

To start with, there’re not expensive to buy, are very easy to use, and you can make lots of great stuff with them, the running costs are controlled by you and how much you want to use the printer but even then, a filament roll is about the same price as 1 OEM ink cartridge and lasts very much longer.

Making things can be simple and complex at the same time, but designing a useful object is not as hard as you might think, alternatively you can download hundreds of already made objects from lots of places on the web like: - thingiverse.com.

I started off with a test object to make sure the printer was working properly and that I had set everything up properly, then I used OpenScad to make my very first object, and from that day on, I have continued to make my own stuff rather than relay on someone elses models that I could download.

To start using OPEN SCAD I watched a few videos that I found interesting and I print screened some of the code that I wanted to use later and that’s how I started using Open SCAD without any experience, it’s on the job training.

The proof of the pudding is in the eating, to date I have used 133 STL files of which 88 were my own, so only 45 were download, I quickly learned how to make my own models, armed with a Caliper tool.
With Black Friday coming they will be a great chance for bargains to be had.... :ya

FryingSaucer

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MX725,MB5150. 3D:Anet A8
The proof of the pudding is in the eating, to date I have used 133 STL files of which 88 were my own, so only 45 were download, I quickly learned how to make my own models, armed with a Caliper tool.
Well, I've used SCAD to design the odd part where there was nothing existing that was the size/shape I needed (for example a housing around the PSU to provide a switched plug and fuse). But many of the parts I've printed have been designed by others to improve the stability and accuracy of the A8; I couldn't do this myself - I don't know enough engineering.

Anyway, I've nearly done printing parts to improve my printer, so I started looking at thingiverse for what to do next. I couldn't find anything I actually needed:idunno

So my question is: What on earth are the 133 models you've printed? Well not all of them, just a sample.

FryingSaucer

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MX725,MB5150. 3D:Anet A8
OK, I just didn't look hard enough. There's a lot here I could make. I particularly like the customizable hinged box.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
How did the quick change toilet paper holder work out?
@The Hat - this could be the game changer for me in 3D printing.
@stratman always likes to get right to the bottom of things before making any serious decisions... :fl

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
How did the quick change toilet paper holder work out?

Hahah... that's one of the "liked" items I thought was interesting, but probably won't print since it doesn't go with the decor in the rest of the bathroom (i.e., it's just not going to look nice) ;)

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
it doesn't go with the decor in the rest of the bathroom
It reminded me of speedloaders for revolvers, something I might find useful one day. ;)

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
This is a photo of the first prototype roller I’ve made myself, it spins on its own shaft and allows the wiring on the Y axes to move freely, the result is now I’m looking at making my own hinges for a box and lid. ;)
RollerBall.jpg click to enlarge.
It’s not much but I’ve got to start somewhere...:ya

Latest posts