Is is more cost effective to re-fill toner cartridges or just replace them?

OperationUprise

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Brother MFCl2750DW
I have started a small eBay business selling laser printed stickers. I've been using cheap third party toner cartridges in bulk but I've recently found out about being able to refill the cartridges. However I was hoping to be able to buy the refill toner in bulk too at a low price. But I was struggling to find someone selling bulk loads that were compatible with my printer (Brother MFC-2750DW).

I bought 140g of toner powder on ebay for about £25 but they are only small bottles and I cant see them lasting too long. £25 seems a bit pricey for the amount I received. But I haven't actually tried them yet.

I bought 15 cheap toner carts for £75 and they have lasted quite a while.

Is refilling the carts worth it? And where is the best and cheapest place to buy it in bulk? Or should I just keep buying carts in bulk?

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Welcome to the forum, OperationUprise.

Looking at prices here in the US, the 15 for £75 is quite low cost. Anything that is significantly less than the average cost I get concerned on quality and problem-free use. You appear to have much experience with this toner.

The 140g is for two refills and £25 seems a reasonable amount, especially if that includes your VAT.

Maybe someone with experience with your Brother toner replacement can better advise.

Is it worth refilling? Only you can decide this. I would not for a business as time is money and the process can be quite messy depending on your technique. Then there is the appearance and longevity of the toner on the stickers. But this is your decision and not mine.

Here is an example of refill toner and instructions here in the US. Note it is for 140 grams of toner.

https://www.inkowl.com/laser/black-...other-tn-730-tn-760-tn-770-and-others/P10916/

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
@stratman, according to my experience, I'd say that refilling toners is quite messy, regardless of your technique.

I used to refill the toner cartridges of my Brother HL-L5000D with bulk powder from Ali-Express.
It came inside an aluminum sachet with threaded cap. You remove the cap and pour the toner inside the cartridge. Sounds easy but depending on the internal geometry of the cartridge it's slow, tiresome and messy. On my printer the problem wasn't so much to refill the cart but, before that, cleaning well the remains of the old toner. If old and new toner mix = problems ahead.
To be on the healthy side, you need a respirator, glasses and gloves, as well as a small vacuum cleaner or can of compressed air, paper towels, old newspapers and lots of patience.
Luckily on my printer a toner refill lasts seven or eight thousand pages, so it's not something that you do every month.
Cost wise, refill directly or purchasing prefilled carts depends on the best price you can find for each.
In my case, it was certainly worthwhile. Even the cheapest compatible cartridge was two or three times more expensive than that bulk powder. That was 2 years ago. I don't know about current prices.
Best place to search for bulk toner powder is probably Ali-Express. Also, depending on where @OperationUprise lives. local Amazon or ebay sites may be worth exploring.

After browsing back my order's history at Ali-Express I found out that last time I purchased bulk toner was in June 2019. I paid a total 14.8 euros for 500gr. In fact, shipping was 8.4 euros and the toner itself only 6.4€
500gr are enough for two refills of my Brother cartridges ( rated at 8000 pages/refill).

Last edited:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
refilling toners is quite messy, regardless of your technique.
I've done it and thought the savings were not enough to justify the headaches. Used outdoors and the basement service sink. A funnel may help with refilling.

PS A respirator? Jaysus, man! Don't they have glove boxes in the UK?

1630612004225.png