1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Picture Of The Week (POW) Information and Submissions
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Official PK Poll: Is there any future in refilling?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. PK Featured Thread: A Basic Question on Linen Paper?
    CLICK HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Is 10-bit wide gamut necessary ?

Discussion in 'Everything Else' started by martincregg, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Jan 12, 2018
    martincregg

martincregg Fan of Printing

Printer Model:
    Canon Pixma Pro-100
    About 6 years ago I bought two wide gamut Dell U2410 monitors. I didn't realize though that I should have used a graphics card that supported 10-bits! So, for the last 6 years I'm not sure if I've really benefited - although I do think I still get a wider gamut display - which I think means less banding in images, right?

I'm about to build a new photo editing computer and want to make sure, this time around, that I maximize the components and peripherals... with a view to getting the best prints on my Canon pro-100 and Canon Pro-10 that I can. Would love to get the community's advice regarding:

1. Stick with my current monitors and get a Quadro card
    2. Stick with my current monitors and go with something like a GTX 1060
    3. Get a new 27" monitor (non-wide) gamut (say, Dell U2717D)
    4. Get a new 27" 4K monitor (say, U2718Q)

Generally, I'm all ears for any advice on how to get the best print I can.

2. Jan 12, 2018
    Ink stained Fingers

Ink stained Fingers Printer Master

Printer Model:
    L310, L382, L800, Pro 7600
    I def. would stick with or go for a wide gamut monitor, you may get a monitor profiling kit to measure the actual monitor gamut - now after those 6 years to check that your monitors didn't loose too much of their capabilities.
    10 bit vs. 8 bit - I wouldn't think that this makes a significant visible difference and would not limit the gamut - do you currently have a problem with banding ?
    Please be aware that monitor and printer gamuts don't overlap completely which may limit the use of a softproofing function if you specifically look into those image areas.
    There may be other properties - size and resolution - adding to the spec list for your monitor(s) - e.g. video editing in 4k and other usability considerations - now or later

martincregg and The Hat like this.
  3. Jan 12, 2018
    martincregg

martincregg Fan of Printing

Printer Model:
    Canon Pixma Pro-100
    Thanks for the help @Ink stained Fingers.

Could you expand a little bit on:

Thanks,

Martin

The Hat likes this.
  4. Jan 12, 2018
    Ink stained Fingers

Ink stained Fingers Printer Master

Printer Model:
    L310, L382, L800, Pro 7600
    there was a thread running discussing questions around the gamut of a printer and how it matches Adobe RGB
    It's with a 3880 printer, but the same applies to any other printer
    https://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/what-color-space-does-the-3880-really-cover.10981/page-5
    And another discussion around the sRGB color space and how printer gamuts fit into there
    https://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/so-why-dont-we-just-dial-in-srgb.10055/page-8#post-85607
    So it all depends----- on lots of parameters - printer - monitor - ink - paper - driver settings
    Measuring the monitor gamut could help you to get a better view on your equipment performance

The Hat likes this.