IPS Monitors

filmguy

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I did a search and this topic might be more prevalent on another forum but I'm thinking important here also.
Anybody have a quality monitor besides the gentleman with the Eizo?

I've been pondering this one... http://www.asus.com/Display/LCD_Monitors/PA246Q/

I've seen this at NewEgg for $449., currently $499.

Any yeas, nays, encouragement or enlightenment would be appreciated.

I've looked at a NEC and a HP in person .. I'd like to see them all side by side and road test, but for the time being I'll dwell on any enlightenment I can find.

Thanks.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
It's hard to tell the monitor performance by looking at the images in a store. There are few reasons why this is made difficult. The ambient lighting in a store is generally not similar to what would be used during a photoedit session. The more critical aspect is that generally monitors displayed in stores are not calibrated. Monitors of this caliber should always be calibrated. Finally, I am doubtful whether the store will have the correct software/setup and images that can show off the potential of this monitor and other better monitors as well.

What is interesting is that Asus claims that it is precalibrated from the factory which is a good thing except that calibration will drift as the monitor ages.
The aim is a good one despite that. Oh, and a Delta E of 5 is not as great as Asus claims. A Delta E of 3 is considered "Good". After calibration typically you're looking for something less than 1 or so. So despite being precalibrated, the tolerances are still too large to depend on if you're critical about color. You still need to calibrate..budget for that.

This monitor looks to be well received by most customers and I had my eye on it as well. What is a nice feature is that the resolution is still the 1920x1200 and not the 1920x1080. High performance monitors seem to be finally appearing on the market for more reasonable prices. Lower performance TN panels have hit bottom and mfrs have to "move the market up" from there. This could be the year of the IPS panel....finally

I've had to put this off since petroleum has taken a jump. I had been also looking for a 24 incher with the 1200 resolution as well. If you don't need the Adobe RGB, then I've seen good reviews on the DELL U2211 and U2311 for considerably less money. There are a lot of choices out there now. Two years earlier it was very different.

Good luck.

filmguy

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Mike. Actually I got my hands on a ColorMunki which started me looking in this direction in the first place.
Apparently they have really bent over backwards to provide customer satisfaction (1 bad pixel) which I consider a valuable consideration.
I have read a few horror stories regarding some other $500.+ monitors. I'm thinking at this level hot or dark pixels shouldn't be an issue and so does Asus.

I also came across this little discussion...http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1525249

filmguy

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I ended up with a Dell U2410 purchased on eBay. Brand new including shipping for $400.

http://accessories.ap.dell.com/sna/...cs=audhs1&l=en&s=dhs&sku=230-11017&redirect=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...3D&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME:B:EOIBSA:US:1123

These reportedly are "factory calibrated". Well see what the Color Munki comes up with in that regard.

Having read about features and what to expect none of these monitors is actually perfect and some of the very high priced models share some of the same faults.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
filmguy:

If your new Dell performs as good as my 2408WFP, if not better, then you will most likely be very happy.

All monitors need calibration for optimal performance, and need to be recalibrated often, more so as they age. It's up to you on how selective you want to be about consistency and precision.

lolopr1

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 4800,R3000 & 9600
filmguy said:
I ended up with a Dell U2410 purchased on eBay. Brand new including shipping for $400.

http://accessories.ap.dell.com/sna/...cs=audhs1&l=en&s=dhs&sku=230-11017&redirect=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...3D&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME:B:EOIBSA:US:1123

These reportedly are "factory calibrated". Well see what the Color Munki comes up with in that regard.

Having read about features and what to expect none of these monitors is actually perfect and some of the very high priced models share some of the same faults.
Hopefully you don't encounter the tinting problem known in this monitor. Good Luck!!!

http://www.amazon.com/review/R1500X...4&nodeID=541966&tag=&linkCode=#wasThisHelpful

filmguy

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Reportedly updates have solved the dithering and tint issues. My buddy has one that's almost 2 years old and appears fine.
Screen specific, who knows. This is a Rev. AO1 so I know it's not the newest (AO5) but there are always updates.

The panel is the same structure as that used in the HP LP2475W, but a slightly different version is used in the Dell model (Revision B). In the past, there were complaints about green/pink stripes and dithering. However, updated firmware should solve this problem. The HP LP2475W was already tested recently by PRAD and we are excited about the results for the Dell U2410, which we tested in revision A00, but with the updated "M1F191" firmware, which is also used in the latest version A01.

Needless to say I'm optimistic and I consider $400. to be a modest investment.

I'd like to purchase one I can look at but I'm reasonably confident considering this one is with a Dell warranty.

Wife is scratching her head, hope she doesn't lose any hair.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
filmguy said:
The panel is the same structure as that used in the HP LP2475W, but a slightly different version is used in the Dell model (Revision B).
Several years ago, at work I had a pair of Dell 25-inch monitors that both eventually developed what looked like streaks of faint clouds going across the screens. When it came time for me to upgrade my computer system a couple years ago, I decided to go with HP 30-inch monitors instead of Dell's (Dell insisted they would work). It turns out HP was big mistake because it only supported the new DisplayPort interface and the only graphics board Dell offered at the time only provided one DisplayPort and two of the older ports (I forget what they are called). Dell did supply a DisplayPort to the older port adapter but it only worked in single mode and as a result, the HP display looked like a giant low-resolution monitor. I eventually had to buy one of the older graphics boards that support two of the older ports.

In addition to a wide variety of ports that Dell monitors provide, they also have built-in card readers, a very, very nice addition.

I later found out that the Dell 30-inch monitor uses the same LCD as the HP 30-inch monitor so I made the switch to HP for no good reason.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
ghwellsjr - Thanks for making that clear as mud.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
stratman said:
ghwellsjr - Thanks for making that clear as mud.
I always try to make my comments clear but your comment makes me wonder. Did you not get the message that I was recommending the Dell monitor over the HP monitor? What part did you not understand?