Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)

4tunet

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks Grandad for the heads up on the ip6000D. I just ordered it for $112 shipped.

I already have MP780 and 11yrs old HP Deskjet 855C that still works flawlessly, but for
that price I'm not going to pass up 6 color printer with good old BCI-6 carts.

Now that I'm printer rich, I'll have to find more stuff to print. lol

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
For Canadians, Henry's was selling these at their photo show in Toronto last month for $99.95 CAD. ( Approx $90USD) I kept looking at the stock and it took two days to sell TWO of them. The HP8250 sold faster. How do you figure??????

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Some poeple think that they need to stay away from closeout "old" technology and buy the latest units. I was harrassed by the resident troll on the printer Newsgroup because I had purchased the i960 on closeout for $100. He was touting the ip4000, a very decent printer, but certainly not with better technology than the i960 for photo printing. I would suggest that, for our purposes, the newest Canon inkjets are a giant step backwards and the I and ip series before them are a better buy. So much for the "new and improved" version.

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
I forgot to mention that I happened to be at a Comp-USA store recently, and took the opportunity to look at which printers from the "Big 3" were on display. HP had a total of 23 printers of all descriptions (I counted anything that could print from a computer, including combination units) and price ranges. Epson was a distant second with 9 - nothing over $200. Canon was an even more distant third with only 7 - several of them throwaways that could barely function as a paperweight and nothing over $160.

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Grandad - I've had the same experience with seeing very few ads for Canon printers and very few on display at the various big box stores. Low demand? Other printer manufacturers providing more financial incentives for the stores to carry and advertise their products? Are we nursing along the last of the Canon dinasours? It is also interesting that some of the older units suddenly pop up on closeouts. Where were they hiding them? You are right that several of the units I see are the low end printers with tricolor carts or the ones without the photo black. Hitting the low pricepoint to sell their overpriced carts. I guess.

Latest posts