ip4600 printhead problem?

FryingSaucer

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MX725,MB5150. 3D:Anet A8
I have had an ip4600 for 9 months, and have been using Inkrite compatibles. Recently the magenta cartridge has stopped printing. I've run deep cleaning and replaced the cartridge with a new one, with no improvement.

Should I try cleaning the printhead next, or what?

I'm based in the UK and am unsure what to use for cleaning as Windex is not available here. Can anyone in the UK suggest what to use?

Also (a really basic question) is there one printhead for each cartridge or only one for all of them? I don't print much colour, the printer works OK on greyscale, and I'd feel more comfortable if damaging the printhead only affected printing in magenta.

The nozzle check I ran is below. Thanks for any help anyone can give me.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
FryingSaucer..

Yes is the answer theres only one printhead. Now your other problem, you could try and get a different set of cartridges or just the magenta I would go for a canon original and see it that works. You can clean your printhead with isopropyl thats as good ok..
:)

FryingSaucer

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Thanks. If there's only one printhead and all colours but the magenta are printing OK, does that mean the printhead is not the problem?

on30trainman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
FryingSaucer said:
Thanks. If there's only one printhead and all colours but the magenta are printing OK, does that mean the printhead is not the problem?
Certainly not - there are separate nozzles in the printhead for each color. If the picture of your nozzle check is correct, it appears that the Magenta ink is contaminating the Black somehow - either because of a bad seal with the Maganta cartridge or within the printhead.

Steve W.

FryingSaucer

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
on30trainman said:
FryingSaucer said:
Certainly not - there are separate nozzles in the printhead for each color. If the picture of your nozzle check is correct, it appears that the Magenta ink is contaminating the Black somehow - either because of a bad seal with the Maganta cartridge or within the printhead.

Steve W.
Actually, when I scanned the nozzle check printout to include in my post, the yellow was not visible, which it was on the paper. So I adjusted the scanner so the yellow did show. The black did appear black on the original.

Anyway, thinks for your reply. I'll try cleaning the printhead.

FryingSaucer

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
If I try to clean the printhead by dabbing it on a paper towel soaked in isopropyl alcohol, can I just use the isopropyl for this, or do I dilute it with distilled water?

Also, at the moment, I have a printer that prints greyscale OK, I don't need to print color that often, and when I do I can use my wife's printer. What are the chances that just removing the printhead from my ip4600 and trying this minimal cleaning will stop my printer working althogether?

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
The UK alternative to Windex is Halfords window cleaner, I would recommend you use that and not alcohol or any other solvent except maybe water.

I also do not recommend removing the print head from the printer until you have exhausted letting the printer clean its own nozzles.

You need to make sure your purge system is working. Put some window cleaner on the pads where the print head parks and make sure it gets sucked away when you do a normal cleaning. Also put some on the screen under the cartridge where the magenta ink goes into the print head.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
ghwellsjr..
Why are you set against using solvents on the printhead, have you found a problem with it. Maybe you could share your experience on the use of chemicals reacting with the printhead..
:)

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Solvents can do damage to plastics. They can create cracks in the stresses that form when plastics are molded. Others have reported problems especially with alcohol. Why take the chance? Inks will dissolve readily with window cleaner.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
ghwellsjr ..

Thanks for that George. As I have being using alcohol for years, I have not found any problems YET. So I will change over to using window cleaner from now on (Vinegar based)..
:cool: