IP 4000 Default Settings

zeebra666

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Just bought a canon IP4000 and only found one problem so far, although Im sure its my fault and not Canons. Can anyone tell me how to change the default settings of the printer. Currently default is colour/standard but I want my default to be greyscale/draft, as mainly I print B&W, but dont want to go into settings and change this every time I print something. Be great if anyone can offer any advice here.

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
Set your preferences outside of a printing program. Start==>Control Panel==>Printers and Faxes==>Right click on your printer (if you have more than one), select Printing Preferences, make your changes, click OK.

This usually works, but not always.

zeebra666

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Cheers Grandad35. Thats done the trick. Thanks for the quick reply

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
zeebra... to make my life easier here's what I've done in the past (before I learned to refill):

I create one printer in "Start==>Control Panel==>Printers and Faxes" and leave that with the default settings.

I then create a second copy of the same printer in "Start==>Control Panel==>Printers and Faxes" and edit the settings for b/w prints only. I then rename that printer to something like "Canon ip4000 BLACK" and set that as my default.

So, whenever I need color I just choose a different "printer" instead of having to go into the config all over again.

I just tried it with my i860 and it worked fine. Just go "Start==>Control Panel==>Printers and Faxes==>Add New" and follow the instructions. You'll probably have to skip the "wizard" and add it manually (since the wizard looks for a "new" printer).

zeebra666

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Good call. Just done as you said and works fine. Thanks

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
On my i960 software I can set my printer preferences up and name the setup as a profile on the window page tabbed "profiles". Easier to change the profile in the dialogue box that comes up for each print job than going to the printer/fax window and selecting a "different printer."