InkTec Powerchrome for Epson 3880

Kjell-Anders

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 3880
Last year I bought a set of InkTec inks for my 3880, but haven´t run out of my previous ink until now. Before changing inkset, i checked the suppliers page and discovered the Powerchrome version, slightly expensier than the set I got.

What´s the differense between InkTec Powerchrome K3 and the other set, that is said replacing Epson´s Ultrachrome K3?

I do my own profiling, so if Powerchrome differs a little from OEM ink is pro noblem.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I was not happy with Inktec pigment inks - bronzing and gloss issues , if Inktec does not tell you what the differences are you would need to test and run profiles on your own to find out - it could be that the gamut is slightly larger e.g. because they might offer an ink like vivid magenta or similar.

Kjell-Anders

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 3880
I was not happy with Inktec pigment inks - bronzing and gloss issues , if Inktec does not tell you what the differences are you would need to test and run profiles on your own to find out - it could be that the gamut is slightly larger e.g. because they might offer an ink like vivid magenta or similar.
Thanks for your reply!
I have written to my supplyer and to InkTec if they can explain the differences. Took a chance that someone on this forum has figured it out, f ex Pharmasist who runs an Epson printer with InkTec Powerchrome K3 ink.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I have written to my supplyer and to InkTec if they can explain the differences.
I'm afraid that you'll get some marketing blurbs how great all their inks are.
There are 2 parts when judging an ink - a pigment ink - Inktec in this case - parameter you can measure like the overall gamut and the black point, and there are elements of a personal judgement - e.g. gloss differentials between different colors or the inks and the paper or bronzing - all effects which are not just a characteristic of the ink but the ink and paper combination - the paper plays a rather strong role.
I didn't like the Inktec pigment inks because of some rather strong bronzing and a metallic look of the photo black.
You get better results with the OEM inks - o.k. - they might exceed your budget limit but I found that Canon inks like the PGI 105 perform as well very good, and these inks are offered by various vendors with reduced prices since they were expired. You may look as well for larger cartridges like the PGI 304 series. I couldn't find expired Epson cartridges with a similar pricing advantage.
But again - it's all a matter of a personal judgement - performance vs. pricing - and if you just print on matte paper all that may be less relevant.

Last edited:

Kjell-Anders

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 3880
Unfortunately I only print on glossy paper. I have used Falter ink for many years with good results, both on Epson Premium Glossy and Falter´s Solution Prestige Glossy RC. No bronzing and even gloss over the entire print.

If InkTec do not work well, I´ll return to Falter ink. But before I start testing InkTec, I was a little confused about the inkset I got and the Powerchrome series. If there is a significant differense I may replace some bottle to get the largest color gamut.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
If you have consumables - papers and inks - you are happy with just stay with them. I ordered from Falter longer time ago when they were distributors for ConeColor inks (US). I tested pigment inks quite a lot, with a P400 and various gloss optimizers. Glossy papers are rather critical, and not all inks look good on different papers. I was ordering inks as well from farbenwerk.com, their webshop has an English version so I would assume they would handle int'l orders as well.
https://www.farbenwerk.com/Ink-for-Epson-Largeformat

And there is octopus-office.de offering a wide range of inks. I don't like those very much, but again - it's a matter of a personal judgement.
If you want to go cheap you may have a look here, but their webshop is a kind of overloaded, and it's not always easy to find what you are looking for.

https://www.druckerpatronentankstel...s/81246086/Products/"Nachfülltinte_EPSON 9 C"

And there are companies more oriented to the large format market like Easy Inks

https://www.easy-inks.de/en/shop/inks/epson-stylus-pro/epson-stylus-pro-3880/

Kjell-Anders

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 3880
Of course you are right, stay with the processes that works. But, curiosity is a well known motor for us photographers. Could I do something better if i try another way? Try another paper - or ink. Worse or better, you get more experience and more tools in your toolbox.
I still intend to test my InkTec inks, but the supplier made a mistake and sent me two bottles of C, instead one C and one LC. So as I have to get the right cyan, I was thinking if changing the magentas to Powerchrome should be an advantage.
But again, as Mikling has stated in a post, if inks differ too much from OEM specs, it´s not always (did he write never?) profiling can solve that difference.
Right now i hope @pharmacist see this thread and can explain why he uses InkTec Powerchrome K3.

Last edited:

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Let us know then your judgement of the Inktec inks after you have tested them

Kjell-Anders

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 3880
Of course, but it will take a while. I like sharing experiences - in both directions - with other picture making enthusiasts.