Inkmon4 or another Ink Monitor program for Windows7

jump

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi Everone,

My XP machine finally died so I just bought a new PC with Windows 7. Was happily using INKMON4 software and can only get it partially working with Win7. I changed the security and compatabiliy settings so that it will now work if I manually run Trigger4.exe when I boot up the PC. That file shows up in the startup, and also shows as a startup item if I run msconfig, but will not actually start automatically. (may have something to do with the Unnknown Publisher thing from Win 7 - not sure.) Its workable if I manually start the trigger4.exe, but an annoyance I could do without. I'm sure I'll also forget to manually run it sometimes, so the levels will always be off. Wondering if?

1. Anyone has worked through that issue to use this progrqam cleanly in Win7 and how you solved the issue?
2. Is there any other 3rd party ink monitoring software that you are aware of that works with Windows7. My google search shows similar for Unix and MAC, but nothing for Wondows 7.

I have an HP printer and have been sucessfullying refilling pretty much forever. Before the inkmonitor program I had only limited success refilling if the cartridge ran out.

Any suggestions would be apreciated.

Tudor

Print Addict
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson L800, 1400; ML-2165W
I use inkmon4 in win7 for a Canon mp250. It appears in allprograms-startup and also in msconfig. I didn't make any changes for compatibility or security, but I have disabled UAC (it drives me crazy).
Make sure your win7 account has administrative rights and check the "run as an administrator" box in trigger4 properties. Also make sure it is on the exceptions list in your antivir/firewall if you use one.

jump

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi Tudor,

Thanks for the info. I had it running under administator rights and tried adding it to the virus/spyware with no difference. I then tried to turn off the UAC and it loaded fine on bootup. Guess it is the Unknown Publisher thing that Windoes 7 will not allow it to start automatically from the startup file. My kids use the PC lots on game sites and that User Control warning so far has actally helped keep lots of junk off this PC. I've just asked them to say no if they see that pop up and not install those items without checking with me. That confirms what is stopping it from loading. Think PC will end up better If I just put a shortcut to the trigger in the tray and ask them to manually run it if they ever need to reboot. Sure wish Microsoft just had an exception list for that User Account Control Setting as it can be helpful, but a real annoyance as you mentioned.

Tudor

Print Addict
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson L800, 1400; ML-2165W
Ok. Have you tried this?
msconfig - tools - computer management - task scheduler - create task

jump

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi Tudor,

Tried that -no success. Tried a few times changing one item each time, like tried on startup and on login and when user is logged on and not loggd on and a few other options that seemed to make sense. Change definately took as the task was there after a reboot, but trigger never opened automatically. Did a search on exceptions to UAC and your method and a couple third party freeware applications show up. Maybe I'll try something else in future, but that's enough time for this one now. PC is mostly on all the time, so just need to click on the trigger4 when I freshly start PC. Not a biggie. Thanks for your help.

Vitafresh

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I've bought Canon MP280 and is looking for some kind of ink monitor to track ink level of refilled cartridges (or at least number of printed pages).

Does inkmon4 predicts ink consumption well (on Windows 7)? Is there another program like inkmon4?