Ink colour difers from orginal.

SDW

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have just refilled my Canon Pixma MP492 clour cartridge (CL511). As the catridge has been sat for a week or so I have done a nozzle clean and run the nozzle patten to make sure all is well. Anyoingly all is not well, the first two prints gave a dull magenta and yellow. After printing an ink thirsty graphic I thought that I would have good vibrant colours. I was wriong. I now print the nozzle patten and the heavy magenta and yellow are streaky and bearly there, almost as if the cartridge is empty.

I am tearing my hiar out, and at 27 I don't think male pattern baldness is a good look for me! So, any and all help will be gratefuly accepted.

Thank you kindly,

Simon

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
I believe the CL511 is a tri-color cartridge with built-in print head. If so, and you had the cartridge out of the printer for a week, that would explain the clogged nozzles. Even so, I think if you want to continue to use this printer, your best bet is to buy a new cartridge, make sure it works and then when it gets low on ink, do your refill quickly so the nozzles won't dry out and clog.

BTW, this is the reason I gave up on tri-color cartridges and switched to printers with individual cartridges for each color.

Tin Ho

Print Addict
Reaction score
I have had HP tri-color ink cartridges sat for months and it still worked.

SDW

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Ghwelljr,

Thank you for your reply.

I filled it when I took it out, at which point it had no defect. The black I did at the same time is fine. The head was coverd with tape and the whole thing in a sealed bag ready to use. Hence, I am not sure it realy is dry. I am wondering if perhas a little stint in some head recovery fluid would do the trick if you think it the head that is problem?

Regards,

Simon

tigerwan

Printer Guru
Reaction score
SDW

The head was covered in tape?

Are you referring to the colour cartridge? If so this could be the problem, if the proper print head tape was not used, and scotch tape or any sticky tape. I would go with Ghwelljr and buy a new colour cartridge. The glue from the tape has clogged the print head. Also the ink has probably leached into your yellow and magenta from this, causing the colours to be off.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
tigerwan said:
SDW

The head was covered in tape?

Are you referring to the colour cartridge? If so this could be the problem, if the proper print head tape was not used, and scotch tape or any sticky tape. I would go with Ghwelljr and buy a new colour cartridge. The glue from the tape has clogged the print head. Also the ink has probably leached into your yellow and magenta from this, causing the colours to be off.
The proper print head tape is available here. You need to scroll about a third of the way down the page. I have never used this but I've heard that the proper way to apply it to the head is to wet it and apply it to the nozzles.

SDW

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
ghwellsjr,

I appologise for not being clear. I did mean static tape, such is used for covering the head.

I am doing (or rather trying to) alot of printing at the moment and so I have gone through a new cartridge already. As both you and Tigerwan have suggested i now have a new cartridge and have filled it imediately but still a similar problem occurrers. This morining I tried the the original colour cartridge in question(to continue my quest to find the problem) and to my total supprise it printed in perfect form. So, all being well I sent another document to print and with in two pages I had the same problem as before, as if the cartrdge was empty.

I have just bought this printer and these are the first refills I have done with it or for that matter Canon cartridges. I have had Lexmark, HP and Epsom printers previously and alway had succes with the refills I have done with them (I have been refilling for about 8 years now). As I don't use vaccum filling methods and reliy on careful filling and settling to avoid a bubble trap, I wondered if perhaps a trap has occurred and this may be a problem? although usualy a trap will resolve with the program for cleaning and or with an over night stand.

Here is the proccedure I use to refill:

1. Locate and open top fill hole.
2. Cheack the colour by using a thin cocktail stick pushed slightly into the sponge.
3. Fill syringe and expell all air.
4. Insert syringe part way into sponge.
5. Slowly depress the syringe plunger untill a slight amount of ink can be seen around the hole.
6. Draw off about half a mill-mill of ink.
7. leave for about 10 mins for the ink to disperse into the sponge.
8. Plug hole with cool glue from a gule gun.
9. 'Prime' head on a bit of damp paper to ensure a good footprint.
10. Either replace into printer or store with head tape and in a bag.
11. Run a head alignment patten and print of a couple of test cards.

I have done many cartridges this way and not had a problem, apart from the odd bubble trap or dried head etc, that 9 times out of 10 I can sort out.

I value your oppion as I am sure you are much more experienced at this than me. Is there anything else I can try? I there perhaps a problem with way I refill these cartridges?

Thank you for your time.

Regards,

Simon

P.S. You mention the 'German' method below your reply. Is this something that I should be doing?

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Since you value my opinion: I would not waste time on cartridges with built-in print heads or with multiple colors. You cannot use the German method on these kinds of cartridges. I also don't like cartridges that you cannot see through or cartridges that have chips in them. Unfortunately, as far as I know, you can no longer buy a new printer that meets these qualifications but you can buy them used. I recommend the Canon iP4000 if you want a printer with a small foot-print or the Canon MP780 if you want an all-in-one.

You can see a video of me filling a cartridge for these printers via the German method here.

SDW

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
ghwellsjr,

I hope my miss-spelling did not offend you.

I must get this print job done today so I will have to keep trying. In the long term I will take your advice and look for the Canon MP780. I have looked at the link you gave me and it seems a very easy, hassle free way of refilling, much to my taste!

Thanks again.

Regards,

Simon

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
The reason I italicized "opinion" was to make it clear to other people that they can have and post opposing viewpoints without offending me. I didn't even notice your misspelling. Sorry for the confusion.