Ink Cartridge not recognized canon ip8720

ballparq1

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon ip8720
My error light flashes 15 times which according to Canon mean error code 1412 Ink Cartridge Not Recognized. However all the ink cartridges are lit. I pulled each one and put it back in to no avail. All cartridges are full. I buy refilled cartridges and have never had a problem before. Seems like I got a message when printing the other day that my ink overflow tank was nearly full or something to than affect. I dismissed it at the time. I cant find any info about an ink overflow tank anywhere. Holding the error button for 8-15 seconds doesnt do anything either. Any ideas?

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Welcome to the forum, ballparq1.

My error light flashes 15 times
Yes, an ink cartridge is not recognized. Curious that the lights are still on for all cartridges.

Did this error occur after you replaced a cartridge? If so, then replace that cartridge with a new or known working one, preferably OEM to decrease the confusion that another aftermarket cartridge from the same seller might have an issue from that batch.

If that resolves your issue then ask the seller of the nonfunctional cartridge to refund or replace the nonfunctional cartridge.

Seems like I got a message when printing the other day that my ink overflow tank was nearly full or something to than affect. I dismissed it at the time.
When the ink absorber counter finally reaches FULL then the printer will no longer print.

I don't know if it is possible with your printer, but, if you could reset the ink absorber counter using a Service Tool then you could continue to print. If you wash and dry the ink absorber after dismantling the printer, or replace with new bought somewhere (?). Otherwise, eventually ink will overflow the absorber and leak out. It is advised to set the printer on a tray for when this might happen to catch and contain overflow ink so as to not stain your furnishings and floor.

Another school of thought, and maybe your only choice if you cannot reset the ink absorber counter, is to buy a new printer.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The A3+ model iP8720 is of the same cartridge generation as the Letter/A4 model. iP7220, so it is likely that the same procedure and service tool can be used for the reset of the absorber counter. But notice that there is a risk that access to service mode might get locked by the use of a service tool like the v3400. A newer service tool like the v4720 is recommended, See this thread about an iP7250. Notice how more is learned about service tools for newer printers from the beginning to the end of the thread. It is the same printer as the iP7220 but for use in Europe in stead of North America.

The ink cartridge problem should be solved before attempting to reset the absorber counter, else service tools will most likely not function but give an Error 009 meaning that service mode operations cannot be performed due to errors in the printer.

Last edited:

ballparq1

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon ip8720
Turns out it was a faulty cartridge after all. I swapped cartridges in reverse order of recent replacement until found the culprit. The lights were all lit so I did not think it was a bad cartridge. As for the absorber pad being full, this printer is only 6 months old but I do use it a lot. I guess I will deal with that issue when it comes but for now it is working. Thanks for the help and suggestions. Everyone stay safe and healthy.