1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Picture Of The Week (POW) Information and Submissions
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Official PK Poll: Is there any future in refilling?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. PK Featured Thread: A Basic Question on Linen Paper?
    CLICK HERE!

Dismiss Notice

In Search of ink cart's color bar stripe

Discussion in 'Everything Else InkJet Printer Related' started by 4music, May 7, 2018.

1. May 7, 2018
    4music

4music Printing Apprentice

Printer Model:
    Signature II
    I have a disc printer (Signature II) that uses 'special' Primera ink cartridges, which are crazy priced! I realize that a Lexmark 80 is just like what I use (but without the color bar label that the red laser see's/reads).
    So if someone knows of the way to crack this puppy, it will help save my world (or at least my wallet)!
    Grateful for any wisdom you can share.
    Joe

2. May 8, 2018
    The Hat

The Hat Printer VIP Moderator

Printer Model:
    Canon Rule in My House plus 3D
    Hi Joe and welcome, would something like this be of any help to you...:hu

Attached Files:

3. May 11, 2018
    4music

Printer Model:
    Signature II
    The Hat, Thanks for that! It isn't quite what I need. The unit I have (Signature III) so far hasn't responded to those, so I went to a locate Kinko's and had their copier print a capture of my cartridge and the color bars were more vibrant, but still didn't get the unit to see it. I wonder if there is a way to improve my chances.

All help is very much needed.

The Hat likes this.
  4. May 11, 2018
    PeterBJ

PeterBJ Printer VIP Platinum Printer Member

Printer Model:
    Canon MP970 + more printers
    The file for labels posted by The Hat is for Lexmark #16 and #26 cartridges used in the Primera Disc Publisher Pro. Your printer uses Lexmark #80 cartridges which are different.

One would expect your idea of making photo copies should work, but the ink used by the photo copier might not be suitable for the job. In the Disc Publisher the labels on the cartridges are read by infrared light sensors, I think the same applies to your cartridges. The problem is that dye ink is transparent or invisible in infrared light, so the labels must be printed using pigment ink.

I suggest to scan your labels and have them printed on a printer that uses pigment ink. I suggest to use a CCD scanner for this as CCD scanners have a much better depth field than CIS scanners. You can read more about the labels for the 16 and 26 cartridges in this thread.

Other Primera models also use rebranded Lexmark cartridges but instead of coloured code labels these cartridges have RFID chips hidden under the label.

The Hat likes this.
  5. May 15, 2018
    4music

Printer Model:
    Signature II
    Gentlemen, I can gladly report I've hit pay dirt! After your advice, I did have Kinko's copy the ink cartridge color bar on a semi-gloss paper, then glued that bar to card stock and placed that in the printers cartridge saddle - BAM!!!! It worked perfect. I now have ordered 5 Lexmark 80 ink cart's for a total of $18.00. Sure the hell beats the regular price of over $70 per Primera unit. So again, a tip of the headphones to my new friends here! To see my operation visit: www.4musicrecording.com
    Best, Joe B.

The Hat and PeterBJ like this.
  6. May 16, 2018
    PeterBJ

PeterBJ Printer VIP Platinum Printer Member

Printer Model:
    Canon MP970 + more printers
    Thank you for the feed-back. Congratulations with finding a combination of paper and ink/toner that works.

The Hat likes this.