In a "shopping for new printer" fog... advice needed

jolene

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I currently have a Canon pixma IP6000d, its been a great printer. Last night in the middle of printing a few pages i got the "No print head installed" error. I did the usual, removed ink and head, cleaned with alcohol and let dry, checked the contacts etc, unplugged from power and pc to reset and nothing worked, even reinstalled drivers etc... I have no idea why it would just go out like that, but I am now faced with replacing it, quickly.

My needs are for home and light in home office use... a good basic printer for black and white printing on plain paper, decent color/photo printing, but nothing too fantastic. I do not print my own photos and chances are if the color ink runs out I will not replace it unless i need it again. I would like to go to an all in one with a scanner/copy feature. Wireless with option to print from non apple phone. INK is a big issue If I cant refill it, I want to figure out the most cost effective brand for replacement cartridges. I also need one that does not require ALL the ink tanks to be full just to print a black and white page of text.

I was pondering over 3 I found on amazon: Epson WorkForce WF-2520, Epson Expression Home XP-400, Brother Printer MFCJ425W
Please steer me clear of a train wreck, or guide me into the right direction. There are so many options it is mind boggling.

Thank you!

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Why dont you take the obvious step and just buy a new print head.
You know and love the iP6000 and got along with it for years so why change a good habit.

The newer printers do come with all the bells and whistles on them and song and dance too
but just wait till you go to refill them, then youll dance to their tune, money money money.. :(

jolene

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Because the replacement printhead is pricey, VERY pricey:(

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
jolene said:
Because the replacement printhead is pricey, VERY pricey:(
Granted but then you know what youre getting so you should grab it with both hands.. :woot

F

FastForward

The Hat said:
You know and love the iP6000 and got along with it for years so why change a good habit.

The newer printers do come with all the bells and whistles on them and song and dance too
but just wait till you go to refill them, then youll dance to their tune, money money money.. :(
Your old iP's won't last forever Hat. Other people don't have the luxury of 3 or 4 old spares so they have to move on to the newer models. Same old song and dance from you won't help refillers of the newer models.

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
FastForward said:
The Hat said:

Your old iP's won't last forever Hat. Other people don't have the luxury of 3 or 4 old spares so they have to move on to the newer models. Same old song and dance from you won't help refillers of the newer models.
Here in the San Francsco area, over the last year or so, I've been able to buy hardly used bci-6 and more recently cli-8 printers. While they are old models, they have been used so little that they will give me or my family many years of use. AND the price is right for collectihng a few of these old gems for current and future use. There are still a few of these around, and an almost daily five minute look on Craigs list is all it takes.

F

FastForward

You are in the printer sweet spot of the world, in the shadow of silicon valley. Most of the people who read this forum are from far corners of the globe, like Africa, Russia, Asia, Australia, and printers cost twice if not three times as much as they do in the US and Canada. They don't have a supply of cheap iP's or discounted 9500's on Craigs list. People print and misuse their printers, they die and they need to print so they go to whatever source they have in their country and get a new one. For most of us that means a newer model printer, not something that was made 3-4 years ago.

jolene

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Well I ordered the Epson Expression Home XP-400, $69.99 Vs the $160.00 for a new print head...works for me

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
jolene said:
Well I ordered the Epson Expression Home XP-400, $69.99 Vs the $160.00 for a new print head...works for me
Good on you and I hope it works very successfully for you too and it doesnt let you down.
Whatever work for you as you say..?
:thumbsup