Improved heat Box..

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I am in the middle of sorting out my filament box for the coming colder months ahead, it partially worked this year, but it needs some more improvement and so.

I decided to fit a controllable hot bed on the bottom of the box with the controls on the outside, I intend using an old CR-10 mainboard that has a fault in it and a New CR-10 single cable screen to monitor the heat-bed and its output.

I designed these two boxes to house everything, the top section took 26 hours to print but the printer stopped working at 20 hours, I have not found the reason for this yet, (Error code) I redesigned the missing piece, printed the piece out and joined them together.

The bottom of the box was more straight forwards and only took a couple of hours to complete, now all I got to do is wire the lot together and see what happens, will it work or go bang, I’ll soon find out..
Untitled-1.jpg Untitled-2.jpg Untitled-3.jpg
click to enlarge

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
How warm is your set up going to get? While you have an exhaust fan, there is only a small air intake space on the side of the box. Will you be attaching a screen of some type the the intake hole to help keep out dust and debris? Will the board get hot enough to melt the plastic base?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
How warm is your set up going to get?
The front and back of the box have about 24 6mm holes each, so heat won’t be a problem, the little hole in the side is for the On/Off switch, to be fitted later.

I can’t see the mainboard getting hot enough to melt anything and it’s also raised up off the floor for good ventilation, plus I only added the fan in case there was ever a need for it.

Nothing has been tried or tested yet...:fl :eek:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Sounds encouraging. :fl

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Very cool! (I mean hot) ;)

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Just finished my latest project, I Reckon Nifty wouldn’t wait this long for anything, but it took 58 hours 10 minutes to complete. (2½ days)
Untitled-1.jpg click to enlarge..

I needed a custom made box for a battery pack for my front gate and the only way I was going to get one was to make it myself, it was 18,6 cm x 12.4 cm x 8.2 cm., it took me about 5 hours to design it and the lid to fit properly, using Open SCAD..

It will have a sealed lid that will make it all weather proof, it won’t be exposed to much sun light, but I still intend spraying it with a clear lacquer to protect it from UV.
The lid will be next to print, but I decided to leave the printer to rest for 12 hours before starting it up again..
These 3D printers are a real whizz.. :celebrate

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
58 hours 10 minutes to complete. (2½ days)
:th

Yeah, I would have swapped out to a 1mm nozzle and maybe given it a go ;)

... but it looks stunning, so Good Job!!

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Yeah, I would have swapped out to a 1mm nozzle
You heard the saying, “Rome wasn’t built in a day” probably because there were using their equivalent of a 3D printer with small nozzles...
Your print speed..
Capture.PNG

My print speed...
Capture1.PNG