Imation papers

Manuchau

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Has anyone ever used this paper? There are some excellent prices on eBay, but I wouldn't want to buy in bulk without an opinion or 2. The seller has over 2000 positive feedbacks from happy customers, but I'd like other opinions

Thanks

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
As an aside, I've used Imation floppy disks with both the Imation and 3M logo on the label and later Imation CDR's which only have Imation on the label. Is it actually 3M? A 3M subsidiary? Totally separate corp? Generally 3M products are excellent in my opinion.

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
I've got an experience that relates:

Many moons ago, before I knew about Kirkland paper and before I had started this great forum I was looking around ebay for glossy photo paper. I saw some amazing deals and one seller that had an incredible feedback rating. I did a search through the seller's feedback for the word "paper" and mass emailed about 20 people that had posted things like, "Great paper, I really like it!" or "Thanks for the paper, will buy again."

I was SHOCKED by the number of replies I got from these people saying, "Oh, I haven't tried the paper yet." A few people said, "Sorry, I haven't opened it yet." One person said, "I posted the rating before I tried the paper, but now that I tried it I think it is horrible."

Why in the world would someone give a seller such a specific positive feedback rating without even trying the product?!?!?! Kinda defeats the whole feedback / rating system.

So, in a nutshell, be careful!

panos

Print Addict
Reaction score
I agree with nifty. I myself have made fun of posting such a comment to CNET, just to test it. They are TOTTALY, COMPLETELY unverified and unreliable. Web forums are a different issue because posters build a reputation with effort (and no, I don't mean the number of posts or one's "title") and usually they are honest and sincere.

In my opinion, comments on cnet and ebay are not worth reading, unless the poster is writing a great deal in a manner that shows he actually knows the product and he has a good experience with it.

Manuchau

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Update on this...

I've now tried to print with this paper, and the results are excellent. I've done identical printing with Genuine Epson paper, Genuine Canon paper, and now Imation paper. I can't see any difference in colour quality, but this paper is not as "white" and is a bit lighter in weight as the Epson and Canon paper. Other than that, results are excellent for the price....less than 1/5 the cost of OEM papers. So...it's recommended for everyday printing.

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Talking about how white a paper is, I took a critical look at the three papers on hand and found the following: Kirkland photo paper is the whitest, Epson Glossy Photo paper is more creamy in color, and Canon photo paper pro has a slight gray/cream cast. Each one by itself looks very bright white, just as several off-white paints look dead white until compared side-by-side. The Epson paper is the thinnest, lightest weight paper and the others have more the look and feel of commercial prints. BTW, I don't want anyone the think that I was a big spender in purchasing the Canon paper. These samples came with the printer when I bought it almost a year ago and I only used a few sheets to run comparision tests with other papers.