i9900 Minimum dpi. PLEASE HELP.

maxbatt

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
This is my first post so bear with me. About a month ago I purchased a Nikon d70s for fun. THEN I decided that I finally wanted to get a printer, too. I chose the Canon i9900 for its excellent image quality AND its ability to print large format. Here's the problem.

Yesterday, I was checking out a local Berkeley photo shop website; they had an option to send files electronically to be printed at the store, AND they said to save to 300 dpi to ensure best quality. I started thinking about it, about whether the Nikon's photos were big enough to fill up a 13x19 inch space at 300dpi. So I went into photoshop, dragged a photo I took at maximum resolution into a canvas I had created (13x19, 300dpi).....it only took up like 10inchX6.66inch!!! In other words approx. 1/4 of the canvas. DAMN....is there anything I can do to fix this problem?? Does it have to print at 300dpi, does this mean I am not taking FULL advantage of the $400 dollar printer I just bought. I am very upset. Can someone please enlighten me on inkjet print resolutions? Anything you guys can tell me would be supremely appreciated!

Thanks,
MAX

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
Maxbatt,

Don't get too hung up on 300 dpi number.

This link (http://www.ddisoftware.com/qimage/quality/) gives a good explanation of interpolation and how a good software package can do wonders in printing an acceptable image from even a low resolution file. If you use Photoshop, try upsizing the image using "bicubic" interpolation ("bicubic smoother" if you have PSCS or PSCS2). I do all of my printing through Qimage, which offers an assortment of interpolation options and prints at Canon's "native" 600 dpi. As an extreme example, I recently printed an 800x1200 pixel image at 12x18" (67 dpi), and the finished image looked very much better than I had any right to expect.

Also remember that anyone looking at a large print will generally be further away than when they look at a small print, and a loss of sharpness will be less obvious at a greater distance. According to this thread, billboards are printed at 25 dpi (http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=89841).