i865 Settings

Metallo

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've got problems to set the printer to print the colors I see on my screen.
I use sRGB IEC61966-2.1, Adobe Gamma, I'm not so refined to need perfection, but reall what I print is totally different.
I used to have manual color adjustment, so I thought that I had put some wrong setting, therefore I went back to default automatic, but nothing changed.

Presently my printer settings are:
Media Type: Plain Paper
Print Quality: Standard
Color Adjustment: Automatic

I only use original Canon cartridges.

The colors tend to be very greenish and I've noticed that the Magenta color consumes much quicker than the others.

Can you help?

Thank you
Alex

Manuchau

Printer Guru
Reaction score
What do you see when you do a nozzle test or cleaning pattern? It's worth trying 1 or 2 head cleanings first.

Also....has this just happened...or has this been happening for a while?

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
Metallo,

You are printing on plain paper with "standard" quality settings? The inks are formulated to give good color on photo papers, not plain paper. My monitor and printer are calibrated and give good color on photo paper, but I get horrible colors on plain paper.

Maganta is opposite green on the color chart, so a green cast indicates that you need more magenta, not less. I suspect that your images have a lot of magenta and that some of the heavy laydown of magenta ink is wicking deep into the paper where it can't be seen. This would result in a loss of magenta color at the surface and give a green cast.

What happens with photo paper?

Endmukbud

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Maybe you ever overfilled your catridge....the yellow and cyan
have u adjust the colour profile on the printer settings ?? :)
grandad also right these colour calibration only effects so much on high printer setting not standart.....on plain standart of course you'll gonna get somethin trrible!

Metallo

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Well, the only thing I've discovered so far, is that the printer prints OK only after I do the cleaning, which in itself wouldn't be a big issue if done from time to time.
If I do it in the evening, I print, colors are OK.
The following morning, unless I do the cleaning again, the red will be dark brown, I do cleaning again and the red will be red.

It's expensive!

Basically, with the price I've spend to buy the original cartridges I've already bought another printer, what shall I do?

Thanks
Alex

RC

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Metallo:

As for the plain paper, if you dont mind spending some extra money, you should try HP Bright White for inkjet, I have tested many plain papers and I find that to produce the best colors. Canon and Epson plain paper are also pretty good.

As for the green shift, that is very typical of the i860, but that can be corrected.

As far as the clogging goes, I wonder what brand of ink you are using. That can make a difference.

And finally, magenta is the most used color in printing, especially if you print much skin tones.

Robert

Metallo

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Robert,

I use the printer maily for:

1) Printing CD/DVD labels
2) Printing printable CD/DVD
3) Ordinary printing on plain paper

I almost never use the printer for photos, it's more expensive and the colors change with in the time.
You wonder about the ink I use? As I wrote, I only use original Canon cartridges.

Magenta cartridges consumes the double than any other cartridge.

What I cannot explain is why the printer cannot print "normally" as any other printer.
I don't think that doing the cleaning once per day is normal, at least not in my way of thinking.
Basically, most of the ink is consumed for the cleaning!

I just think my printer must have something wrong, but bring it to Canon does not make sense.

Maybe, I will try to sell it and buy an Epson or whatever.

I wish I still had my old HP 720C, never a problem and much much cheaper in terms of ink consumption. :(

Cheers
Alex

RC

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Alex:

You should not have to deep clean it everyday, that is not normal, and if you do, you are going to get a second job just for canon ink.

What you should do is as fallows:

Get some distilled water, make it hot, the pour some Windex and alcohol in it. Put the printhead in a bowl with the solution and let it seat overnight. From time to time shake the printhead in the solution to help loosen any dry ink. If you have some kind of syringe and tubing, where you could flush the print head nozzles, that would be better. Grandad has an illustration somewhere on this website, showing how to flush the printhead with a syringe. If you search Grandads posts you will find it.

As for the ink. you may be better off buying non OEM ink, especially since many, not all, have a magenta tint, which should help you get rid of your green tint.

The i865 is not a bad printer, you just are having some bad experience with it, and that is understandable why you are getting aggravated with it.

Non OEM ink is a fraction of the cost of Canon ink.

Formulabs BCI-6 a magenta tint, maybe that may be good for you.

Unfortunally, when you have problems with the printhead, whether it is Canon, HPor Epson, they are all crooks, but keep trying, you will solve the problem.

Let me know if the soaking works.

Robert

Metallo

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Robert,

Thank you very much for your help, very kind of you.

I will try to follow your suggestion and see what happens.

Ink: I live in Europe and as in the US, there are hundreds of ink producers, the problem is that if you chose the wrong one, you can really get into touble with your printer.
Here, in the megastores, the most common alternative you find are the pelikan inks, they cost around one third of the Canon ones, say between 3,50 and 4,50 , it would be a saving but I need to check if somebody is using them with my printer and get some info.

BTW, what's Windex?

Thanks
Alex