i1Studio - "Optimize Profile" refuses to open

JohnG50D

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Artisan 835 X 2 & 1430
Hello All, I rarely post in forums, but am constantly searching for tips from others to improve my photo printing.
I started using the i1Studio software as soon as it was released, but from day one, the Optimize Profile button gives me a spinning wheel with Not Responding next, followed by the program closing without assistance from me.
I have created paper profiles with my ColorMunki Photo from i1Studio for the software to find, but regardless of my uninstalls (with Revo) and fresh downloads, the upgrade to 1.5.1, I'm no further advanced in finding a solution to the lack of functionality.
My machine, Windows 10 latest build, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, CPU RAM: 16291 MB, Video RAM: 4096 MB. Dual displays.
My brother has the same software and CMP and is able to open the Optimize Profile function AOK.
Does this sound familiar to anyone at Printer Knowledge??

Last edited:

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
Welcome to the forum @JohnG50D.

Hard to say about the origin of your issue with 'optimize profile'. Probably it's related to your particular installation of Windows and your specific hardware,
Among all your installed programs, drivers, plugins, etc....something is blocking that funcionality of i1Studio. Maybe a former software was incorrectly uninstalled leaving conflicting entries in the registry of Windows..?, I'm just speculating. These kind of bugs are very frustrating because one doesn't knows exactly where is the problem.

I own also a Color Munki and v1.5.0 of i1Studio runs without issues. 'Optimize profile' opens correctly, although I never use this feature. Sorry that I can't be of any help.
Anyway, there're at least two or three other members here with a Color Munki Photo/I1Studio. Let's hope that one of them will be able to help you in this matter.
If not, I'd suggest googling intensively on Internet to find if other people with the same issue found a fix, but you surely have done that already.
Regards.

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
"optimise profile' opens on my Windows version 2004.
I tried it a few times but couldn't see any enhancements.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Below is a link to instructions from X-Rite to Install i1Studio Application For ColorMunki Photo & Design on Windows. It appears the Colormunki software uninstaller via Windows does not clean up fully. Maybe Revo is not cleaning enough up on the uninstall either.

https://xritephoto.com/ph_product_overview.aspx?ID=2458&Action=Support&SupportID=5935&catid=157

Have you tried the iDiagnostic app?

https://www.xrite.com/service-support/downloads/i/i1diagnostics_v4_2_5

The better uninstallers take a snapshot before and after installation for comparison of changes and then monitor for changes to the Registry and file additions/deletions. These features are generally found with payware uninstaller versions. I have used both Ashampoo and Total Uninstaller to good effect.

What version of Revo are you using? Free?

I do not know about the present but in the past Revo did not function in this fashion and was dependent on the apps own uninstall routine plus Revo's own proprietary list of files that were leftover from a typical uninstall. If Revo did not know the app then the uninstall could be incomplete with leftover files on your drive and orphaned Registry entries (something CCleaner has been decent for removing)

For those interested, here seems a nice list of free uninstallers. Have no idea its validity.

https://www.lifewire.com/free-uninstaller-programs-2625188

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
I have both the old Photo and the new i1Studio application installed.
The old app has Colorpicker to read Lab values.

JohnG50D

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Artisan 835 X 2 & 1430
I'm back again to report the status of the original problem after trying your various tips.
My ColorMunki failed the diagnostic test, but I'm sure that's the ambient light function from 9 to 12 oclock which hasn't functioned for some years. I can do without the ambient light measurement.
My Revo uninstal is the last paid version before they went subscription. But remember since the first version of i1Studio was installed the Optimize Profile hasn't worked.
The good news is that I created a new user account in Win 10 to find i1Studio on the new desktop and it functions properly. I did an Optimization but in Gamutvision it if anything degraded the original profile.
I'm thinking that there's a lack of enthusiasm for the Optimize Profile function, maybe I now know why.
Thanks to those who responded with your offers of help.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Please be aware that the optimization process does not change the outline of the gamut volume , and changes are not visible with a regular gamut viewer; what does the opt. process do - it is adding more control points within the gamut volume but not on the outer borders, and any changes within the gamut volume are not visible with a gamut viewer, you may see small changes with the 'Black and White density response' if you specifically try to oprimize B/W prints and use a B/W print as a source for additional gray values. Judging the impact of the opt. process would require you to into the conversion tables and compare them before/after a opt. run. But there is no low budget software available to do that.