I ordered a Makergeeks transitional grab bag!

flowrider

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro-100
So I took a chance on Black Friday and ordered 3 rolls of their Transitional grab bag filaments which could be anything from their inventory. From their website,

"it's a mystery as to what material and color you get. We promise that 90% of the spool will be within tolerance, from time to time when switching colors we'll see the filament go out of spec by maybe 0.1-0.5mm for a few meters and then it's dialed back in and off she goes. SOME SECTIONS COULD BE UN-USEABLE EVEN AND YOU MIGHT HAVE TO CUT THOSE OUT... JUST ALL PART OF THE TRANSITIONAL DEAL AND IS REFLECTED IN THE CRAZY LOW PRICE!! "

I got 3 rolls for $25 (25% off the regular price), so it was good deal no matter what type of filament I got. In the box was a roll of PLA in Racer Red and 2 rolls of HD Clear PETG. I'm just glad I didn't get ABS as I don't have an enclosure and have a tough time printing it. I did temperature towers of both filaments yesterday and both seem not too bad. The PLA tends to string a lot and it has a crazy high 230 recommended temperature. The PETG is more average temperature of 255 degrees but with both type of filaments it seems to be okay down 20 degrees from recommended. I'll have to do a bit more testing but all in all a good deal.

Attachments

• 20171212_163258.jpg
    20171212_163258.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 312

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
There are so many things to watch out for while making a 3D print, but using poor or badly made filament should not be one of them, if your happy to risk heavy maintenance on your hot-end then go for it, dodgy filament is not for me, even if it is DIRT cheap... :(

Heat...
PLA from: 190 to 210 Degrees.
PETG from 190 to 230
These don’t need heated beds.
ABS from 220 to 240
This needs 50 to The sky is the limit...

flowrider

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro-100
We all buy cloned hot ends and refill our ink cartridges, is there really much of a difference.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
We all buy cloned hot ends and refill our ink cartridges, is there really much of a difference.
I buy refill ink from a tried and true vendor recommended on this forum and I would never buy ink advertised as "Pour off the top 5% of ink and you're good to go, unless there is a layer further below you need to decant as well."

I might buy some potentially sketchy filament of otherwise known quality if the price was very low. Really low. A hot end costs a lot less than a print head.

Then again, I don't have a 3D printer so what do I know? :confused: