I need the best order of operations to store a printer.

Bird333

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I have a MX870 that I want to use the remaining ink out of the cartridges and then store them and the printhead long term. What is the best way to do this?

Bird333

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
My thought is to print until the ink runs out. Next fill the cartridges with the printhead fluid and run a few deep clean cycles. Should I try to flush flush the carts before the 'printhead' fluid? The only thing is I plan to use the 'German method' to refill so I'm not sure how well flushing will work. Can I store the carts with the 'printhead fluid' or would it be best to use the 'cart fluid' even thought they are similar?

William Seaward

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 1, 10, 100
Yes, you will need to purge the carts before you install the "Pharmacist's Solution". When you're done running the "Pharmacist Solution" through the print head, don't print anything else, then put the plastic protection piece back on the print head and store in a sealed baggy. You can keep the fluid in the cartridges until you're ready to refill them.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
@Bird333, you’re going to an awful lot of unnecessary trouble to achieve nothing, because your more likely to do damage to one of your components, head, carts or both.

Firstly, just leave the carts as they are (With ink in them) and cap the outlet with the orange clips, that’s the carts part taken care of.

Now remove the head and leave it soaking in 2” of water for about a week, then rinse all of the head under tap water for several minutes, and if you don’t have soft water that’s ok, it won’t do any harm at this point.

If you don’t have soft water, then after rinsing, soak the head again for 15 minutes in distilled water, now remove the head and give it a vigorous shaking to remove most of the water and leave to dry for several hours at room temperature.

Lastly using pharmacists’ solution of propylene Glycol, Alcohol and distilled water, 10%, 30% and 60% and dribble some of that solution onto the ink inlets, don’t be afraid to use plenty, leave the head to stand for a couple of minutes then seal the head in a plastic bag and store.

When you ready to print again just put the head back into the printer along with the cartridges and your good to go, you can if you wish top up any of the carts before you start, but don’t forget to reset the chips first...

Bird333

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
So I don't need to run the solution through the printhead while in the printer? What about the 'drain lines' in the printer, will they be ok with old ink sitting in them?

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880
@Bird333, you’re going to an awful lot of unnecessary trouble to achieve nothing, because your more likely to do damage to one of your components, head, carts or both.

Firstly, just leave the carts as they are (With ink in them) and cap the outlet with the orange clips, that’s the carts part taken care of.

Now remove the head and leave it soaking in 2” of water for about a week, then rinse all of the head under tap water for several minutes, and if you don’t have soft water that’s ok, it won’t do any harm at this point.

If you don’t have soft water, then after rinsing, soak the head again for 15 minutes in distilled water, now remove the head and give it a vigorous shaking to remove most of the water and leave to dry for several hours at room temperature.

Lastly using pharmacists’ solution of propylene Glycol, Alcohol and distilled water, 10%, 30% and 60% and dribble some of that solution onto the ink inlets, don’t be afraid to use plenty, leave the head to stand for a couple of minutes then seal the head in a plastic bag and store.

When you ready to print again just put the head back into the printer along with the cartridges and your good to go, you can if you wish top up any of the carts before you start, but don’t forget to reset the chips first...

Sounds liked practical common sense advice. Am I correct in assuming the same advice would apply to any Canon dye ink printer with similar removable print-head?

rs

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
The reality is that I have stored and also have purchased printers with carts in them and they worked when started I also have tried over the years to store without ink in them and washed the printhead and had disasters. I also had printers that were stored and when powered back on, fail mechanically.

If you're looking for fail safe...there is none.

Nowadays, I store the printer with full cartridges that did some printing. If something is going to happen, it will. I have tried all aspects and all both success and failures.

There's old man trouble waiting around the corner always. It is what makes the world go round.

On my latest Pro-1 acquisition, how do you think I felt when I purchased a brand new Pro-1 and it gives a service error in lock up mode when switched on the first time! With no warranty. Who needs it. Brand New in the Box. BTW, toolman guided me to the solution. Keep turning the thing on and off. It fixed itself. It also happened to him in a similar fashion.

After a few years with printers....you learn there are no failsafes. Something always can happen it it want to.

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880