I need help learning how to use flush cartridge

Paul W.

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 1430 HP 932 Canon iP8720
I have some stubborn clogs in my 1400. Am using the Eboni-6 inkset wherein the K position is 100% Eboni ink and the remaining five positions are various dilutions of the Eboni. My clog is in the Cyan position which is 30% Eboni. I'm quite sure they are true clogs, not air blocks, because the clogs do not move from nozzle check to nozzle check. Note that one clog is almost a whole line. (Ignore the horizontal line at the bottom, that's bleed through from a print on the other side of the paper.)

flushquest.JPG

I've never had to use a flush cartridge, here's what I'm doing. Please suggest any changes. Up to this point tried cleaning using the "shoe-shine" underhead technique, wiper blade, capping station, nipples, etc., always getting the pattern you see here.

1) pull the Cyan cart
2) fill a refillable empty cart with Piezoflush
3) run a nozzle check, poor result (to be expected on first check)
4) run clean procedure in Epson software, got better check
5) run purge using the Cyan strip - used both the high quality print parameters and regular quality
6) run nozzle check, result you see here
7) repeat last few steps, several times, allowing hour or two between trials

I repeated the last few steps a couple of times but lost track of exactly how many. Here's where I need help... how often should I run this procedure? Should I leave the flush cart in overnight? I've heard this can take a couple of days. I'm trying to minimize the clean routine (the one in the Epson software), that seems to be what most folks suggest.

Thank you!

Last edited:

Walt Gray

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon pro100--Epson R3000-R800
Since I am not familiar wit the printer you have I copied this from Inkjet mall
http://shop.inkjetmall.com/Small-Format-Flush-Kit.html

I hope this helps you

PiezoFlush is a very strong cleaner – yet is safe enough for long term storage. It can be used in a wide variety of ways that benefit users. One of the most frequent uses of PiezoFlush is for flushing out pigment ink from the inside of large format printers so that the printers can be shut down for weeks or months. Universities and colleges use our system. One set of carts can be used to flush out a number of printers that share the same cartridge size.

One of its strengths is that it can permeate and resolubize dried pigment matter. So it can be used to clean the surface of print heads as well as the internals of ink systems such as print heads ink channels, dampers, and ink lines. Our best selling systems are for the EPSON 4900, 7900 and 9900 printers which seem to be plagued by permanent ink clogs when used with the OEM inks. We have a high success rate! And for those whom are unable to recover ink channels in thse printers, we can map the bad channels out and customize Piezography B&W systems with as little as 6 working ink channels. (just a fall-back idea if you can't recover your X900 color printer!)

We do sell a desktop system in which the PiezoFlush is injected carefully into the print head with a special fitting and syringe. There’s a video on how we do this at the bottom of this page.

For large format printers – PiezoFlush must be introduced into the print head via refillable cartridges. Older generation printers (pre-7890/9890 and pre-R3000, 4900/7900/9900) have Power Clean functions in which two of these cycles will clear out the ink and replace it with PiezoFlush. That is how PiezoFlush should be introduced into the previous generation of printers.

However, the 7890/, R3000, 4900/7900/9900 printers do not have a Power Clean and using Powerful Paired Cleanings can be harmful to the print head if used excessively. To introduce PiezoFlush into these printers requires the maintenance mode Initial Ink Charge often know as the Initial Ink Fill. With some models this is available on the service mode menu at the LCD panel. With some printers this is only available with the Windows only EPSON Utility Adjustment Service software.

Once the PiezoFlush is introduced to the print head, dampers and ink lines it should be allowed to rest (and work) for 48 hours. The printer can be turned off. After 48 hours turn the printer on and perform 2-3 regular head cleanings and test for a nozzle check. If progress is made – repeat regular head cleanings. It is possible to repeat the Initial Ink Charge.

Because PiezoFlush is stained pink you can check your progress by printing nozzle check tests.

The complete users guide to PiezoFlush and large format printers (including the R3000) can be found by clicking here.

For most desktop printers in which ink cartridges are mounted directly on the print head (you can tell if the cartridges move back and forth with the print head while it prints) we offer a small format cleaning kit. You can see how that works just below.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
The diluant you used to mix down the 100% black should be able to clear up and clean out the pigments that are clogged. Have you tried that?

Paul W.

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
@Walt Gray : Thank you... I'm familiar with that link but I missed the section you pointed out. Yes, it was helpful!

@mikling : No, I haven't tried that. It makes sense though, thank you!

Paul

Paul W.

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
It's been almost a month since my last post, but am trying to pick up where I left off. Let me start by saying I want to create a cleaning cart set using an empty set of previously used carts. The chips are version 6.0 and I tested them in my 1400 - and the carts were duly recognized. But note the light magenta cart... its fill hole and vent are what I'm used to from other carts, but the other five show the holes right next to each other, never seen that before. In spite of that, will these carts work as a cleaning set?

chip6.0.JPG

Also: I plan to use Piezoflush. My inkset is Eboni6, Paul Roark's mix. I may also try Art Entlich's cleaning mix, 50-50 isopropyl alchohol and Windex (the original formula, with Ammonia) - with a few drops of red for visible nozzle checks.

Finally, and this is really basic stuff, but what's the step by step for using cleaning carts?

Thanks all!

Last edited: