HP Officejet Pro 8620 problem

Michael Maher

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 100
Hi all, I have an HP Officejet Pro 8620, not sure but maybe about 3 years old.

The problem is it is missing some lines of text in a repeat pattern. A typical example is a page of solid 12pt text shows the first line partially printed with loss at the bottom half of that line of text missing. The next line completely missing. It seems to print in an almost regular pattern, sometimes three lines ok sometimes four but always with a gap where text should be.

Any thoughts how to solve this would be gratefully received. Or is this an example of built in obsolescence?
I am aware that its sometimes cheaper to buy a new printer than take it to a repair shop??? Regards, Mike

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Could you please upload scans of a nozzle check and a text sample showing the problem?

Michael Maher

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 100
Hi Peter, thanks for responding and I apologise for the slow return to you from my end.

I am attaching two scans...the example of the printed problem was easy but the nozzle test I just couldn't find anywhere on either my mac or our PC. The only thing close was the "Windows Printer Test Page", but that wasn't what I was expecting and i doubt if it is what you are looking for...I am used to seeing test parameters that can be adjusted and I think are what would be used in a nozzle test??? Anyway I am attaching both just in case they assist.

Further to my original description of the problem I should also tell you that the machine had a nasty paper jam a couple of weeks back which I had forgotten about. This I cleared (front and back) and thought all was well...but now I am thinking this might be part of the problem? Yesterday I checked again in case a scrap of paper was still in the system, but couldn't find any evidence of this, (then again, these machines are not designed to allow serious investigation of their innards by amateur's like me).

Thanks again for responding to my cry for help, I look forward to hearing from you in the event that you have any suggestion. Regards, Mike

Attachments

• scan1.pdf
    1,000.8 KB · Views: 517

Michael Maher

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 100
Hi Peter, First an apology from me, I have been slow to get back to you about my printer problem. The fact is my son was visiting us from Tasmania where he lives and he said he could help me follow your instruction...he is well versed in printer issues. However, as a result of his visit and our lack of success, plus the low cost of a comparative replacement, I have decided to replace the machine. We use this printer and a couple of others for our business so it has been an expedient measure. Plus the price of these machine (at this level) have dropped considerably. I am so sorry that I took up your time to no end and want to say I really appreciate your expertise and that of the forum in general...it is a excellent websites. Many thanks, Mike