HP Laser is printing blank pages

TNF

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP MFP M177fw
Hi, I have a HP MFP M177 FW color laser printer and it's been working fine for about 5 years. Suddenly one day it printed one sheet that was only yellow. Then every sheet since then has been blank.

Info to rule things out:
  • Unit never gets moved.
  • No power outages, etc.
  • No errors on the unit
  • I replaced the black toner
  • Drivers up to date
  • No changes were made, etc, etc, etc.
  • The unit works fine otherwise. I can scan to PDF, but I cannot run copies or print. Everything runs like normal when I try, it's just that the [ages are blank.
  • I tried running tests from the PC, and tried running reports directly from the printer.
  • I have never replaced the drum, because I never had reason to (maybe this is it?).

I was told by someone at a store that it could be "the drum". He seemed convinced. I asked if there were other internal parts like something that "charges" the toner (I don't know what I'm even asking), etc. he said no. But when I look online I do see mention of a "fuser".

Anyway, before I take this heavy thing in for repair are there any suggestions on what I might try first?
The connection is fine, the printer will act like it's printing but the pages are completely blank.
Should I buy a drum and see if that's the problem?

Any advice is appreciated, thank you.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I'm no laser printer expert, but I think a drum doesn't fail abruptly, instead print quality degrades gradually. So I think the fault is electronic. Maybe a repair manual and a troubleshooting manual will be helpful?

Beware of high voltages inside the printer if you decide to troubleshoot it yourself.

Edit: see page 88 in the troubleshooting manual:

HP Laser troubleshooting.jpg

Last edited:

TNF

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP MFP M177fw
I'm no laser printer expert, but I think a drum doesn't fail abruptly, instead print quality degrades gradually. So I think the fault is electronic. Maybe a repair manual and a troubleshooting manual will be helpful?

Beware of high voltages inside the printer if you decide to troubleshoot it yourself.

Edit: see page 88 in the troubleshooting manual:

View attachment 14115
Well thank you very much for that. I did not even see that in there.