HP ENVY 7640, Good machine, if you can stand the constant noise.

Quality Fixated

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Samsung M2675FN, HP ENVY 7640
Worth a read if your planning on buying the HP ENVY 7640 Printer, or buying any printer directly from HP.

I purchased the HP ENVY 7640 e-all-in-one directly from the HP website.

The photo's it produced were not as good as my old HP Photosmart c309g, but then again that had 5 ink cartridges, which all added up to some serious money.

But from start to finish the 7640 seemed perfect, a motorised document holder that stopped printouts dropping from the machine, decent paper capacity, photo paper holder, automatic duplex, ADF (without duplex), NFC, USB and media card slots and wireless and Ethernet connectivity. Great, this machine was to replace my ink thirsty Photosmart and mono laser printer.

Another massive bonus was it being part of the HP Instant Ink programme, meaning for just £3.49 a month, I'd have new cartridges delivered in-time before the machine ran out, and without the expensive outlay of buying cartridges outright.

However the machine had one extremely irritating fault, it made a high pitched sound continuously whilst in standby, and even when switched off all together. I post my link here http://youtu.be/kJ5JPwhjZyY for you to hear the sound yourself, I made this sound file/video because HP Support would not admit the fault with the machine, especially after me having it replaced twice and all of them doing the same.

I soon discovered I wasn't the only HP customer having this problem with the HP ENVY 7640, buyers in the US via amazon were reporting it, the machine had been released earlier than the UK in America. Then after discovering more customers now here in the UK and even a report of HP's own community pages, it was obvious, all 7640's made this horrid sound.

The mistake I made was buying the machine directly from HP, because other customers had returned their 7640's to the stores they purchased them from, including amazon, but HP insisted on replacing mine, not once, but twice, totalling 3 machines. All making the same extremely irritating noise. :he

HP Support still deny there are any problems with the 7640 and after weeks of communications where I have been repeatedly told I would "not get a refund" I think I may have finally got somewhere.

The last call I had the same robotic and arrogantly persistent lady still refused to back down, again repeating "we cannot offer a refund" and "all we can do is replace the unit again with the same model, as you have the highest spec" then... "or we could do a buy-back"

I said "Buy-back, you mean a refund?" HP will "buy the unit back" so to make it clear I was not getting a "refund" on a faulty machine it was called a "buy back".

A refund would mean I had at long last won wouldn't it? :ep

I couldn't help myself; I had to say "So I will get what I have asked for all along, a refund".

She repeated "It's not a refund, it's a buy-back" :lol:

I replied "so I am going to get my 159 pounds back"

Her finial comeback "It doesn't matter whether you paid £90, £100 or £200 for the unit, that's what you will get back"

:weeeI'm getting my REFUND! Thanks Adele!

After being a fan and user of HP Printers over many years, I cannot believe the way in which I've been treated. Thinking of all the times I have given good reviews for their machines and recommended them, it makes you feel very small and stupid.

All what I have written above still doesn't cover the most appalling manner in which I've been dealt with over the last month alone by HP Support, HP Supports "Care Manager" to be precise.

DrJones

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Hp Deskjet 930c
Once the problem was fixed with a new power supply - what did you think of the device - or if you returned it for a refund-not-a-refund-buyback, do you know anybody else that finally liked and accepted this unit?

I have it on my shortlist - but want opinions of what it's like to own, use and maintain?

Thanks

Doc Jones.

Quality Fixated

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Samsung M2675FN, HP ENVY 7640
Been sometime since I spoke about my trouble with the HP ENVY 7640. But here is an update. I'd presume newly manufactured HP Envy 7640's would have the different power supply. I did get another 7640 when HP finally admitted there was a problem. Among others complaining of the same noise they sent a new power supply. The power supply is actually inserted onto the back of the machine. This solved that noise problem. Other issues i have notice through use of the machine is its regular failure to pick up photo paper (yes HP Premium Paper) from the dedicated photo paper tray. This can be quite annoying. One other issue I believe is due to the machine not having a Photo Black cartridge the blacks in photos are extremely poor and pictures tend to have a hue to them. If HP had given the machine a Photo black and corrected the pickup issue it would be a fantastic machine.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
:yuckyuck :hide