HP DeskJet F340 All-in-One

Hikermann

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Please / Thanks: Windows XP 5.1 SP3; just got the HP printer noted above; it's been sitting in an office for about five years, lonely; worked fine, she says; downloaded/installed what I could e-locate for the model; my PC tells me all is well with the newbie, but when it comes printtime, the paper moves through appropriately, the appropriate sound of the ink mechanism moving back and forth is heard, but the grand result is, merely, a blank sheet of paper. The ink cartridges and electroconnection points are clean and dry.

Shall I conclude that the souls of the ink cartridges have flown the bodies after having been unattended and unused for such a length of time? Haven't tried new cartridges yet. Or is there something else I should be attending to?

Thanks / appreciated.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The behaviour of the printer indicates that it is OK and the cartridges are electrically OK. But as the printer has been left standing without use for five years the cartridges are most likely completely dried out, and most likely you will need a set of new cartridges.

I have had success with reviving the cartridges in a HP Deskjet F2400, which is similar to your printer except that it uses the type 300 (EU) or type 60 (US) black and tricolour cartridges. Your printer uses the type 21 and 22 cartridges which are similar.

The Deskjet F2400 had been left unused for more than half a year and printed very little even if the cartridges had been used very little. The nozzles were clogged by dried ink. I had luck in unclogging the cartridges by pressing the nozzles against a piece of soft tissue paper wetted with a window cleaner with ammonia, and changing the paper often. Gradually the cartridges began to leave an ink mark on the paper and I finally got them working again.

You could try this, but most likely you will need a new set of cartridges.

Latest posts