HP Deskjet 2540 Incompatible Ink Cartridge

Dudie

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP Deskjet 2540
I have an HP Deskjet 2540 and naturally it’s not under warranty any longer. Starting 2 days ago when I try to print, I get an error message – Incompatible Ink Cartridge – Tricolor. The cartridge listed above is not intended for use in this printer as it is currently configured.” I have been printing up until this point with no problem. Not always using color but in black to save the color cartridge. Now I get that message and I can’t print. It is an HP Tricolor Cartridge. It has ink in it. I’ve taken out the cartridge cleaned the contacts with a soft cloth. Right now I turned it off and unplugged it. Should I just replace the cartridge? Turned printer back on and still get error message.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Should I just replace the cartridge?
An OEM cartridge should resolve the issue. An aftermarket cartridge may or may not result in resolution.

Here is HP's official guide on your issue:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/HP-In...e-quot-Currently-Configured-quot/td-p/7372810

I have read that power fluctuations may cause the printer-chip to go wonky. There are probably more reasons and alleged fixes people have written like this...

https://castleink.com/blogs/printer-help/how-do-you-bypass-an-incompatible-hp-ink-cartridge

One web site said to take out the color catridge and see if the black alone will work. It then said to return the color cartridge and take out the black cartridge to see if the color alone will print.

Dudie

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP Deskjet 2540
I tried the tips on castle.com but nothing worked. I could never get the printer to work with only 1 cartridge. What I did do is put in an old color cartridge that I had replaced the current one with. The error message did not show up and I could print. That won't last long because that cartridge has very little ink in it. That's telling me it's the cartridge that's giving me the error message. I might just have to bit the bullet and replace it. Thank you for trying to help.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
YW. Happy printing.