HP Deskjet 1050 J410 - print problem after refill

Barbogio

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Hi all,

first of all I am not interested in good print quality otherwise I would not buy an economic printer. This is the reason why I have tried to refill the cartrigde.

I followed or I have tried to follow the instructions but now it does not working properly. I have a good printing for a little while, it could be after one page, it depends obviously on the quantity of the printing, after that moment it seems that the ink is ended, start with some empty space and terminate with blank page. After

Is there somebody which have had a similar experience?

What could be the reason?
- I have waited too long to refill
- I have inserted too much ink
- There is air inside the cartridge
- Other

Thanks.

thanhhuy123

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP Deskjet Ink Advantage 5525
Yes, all could be the reason. However, you provided too little information for diagnosis.

Ink: you could have used the wrong or low quality ink.
Refill: you could have refilled too fast, overfilled, not insert the needle deep enough and created air gap.
Time: waiting too long after the cartridge run out of ink could dry the ink in the printhead and sponge. After refill the cartridge need to sit for sometime to let the ink fully saturate the sponge.
Prime: after refill, priming ink down to the printhead is necessary, done either by running a clean circle, using a paper towel. => top-up filling is better than let the ink run dry and then refill.

Other inkjet master might give better and deeper advice for you. Stay tuned.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I agree with thanhhuy123 that all reasons for the cartridge failure are plausible, but I think the most likely cause of the cartridge failing after having printed one page or so, is air trapped in the nozzle chamber. One way to avoid this problem is never to let the cartridge run dry, but keep it topped up by frequent refills as suggested by thanhhuy123.

To remove this air a special priming tool is often helpful, It removes air from the nozzle chamber by sucking ink and air out through the nozzles.

I checked the HP DJ 1050 printer and the cartridges it uses are known in Europe as HP 301, in the US they are known as HP61, so here is a link to a site showing a priming tool for HP301 cartridges: http://www.inkjet-direct.com/hp_301_ink.htm

I think the problem with trapped air is what makes refilling these combined sponge and print head cartridges so difficult. My success rate with this cartridge type, both for HP and Canon, is below 50%.

thanhhuy123

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
In my country, people don't have and can't buy/import those tool. Instead, for the first time refill where you have to let the oem ink out completely to avoid mixing with refill ink, we make sure to refill the sponge with all ink and not air by inserting the needle all the way down - but don't puncture/touch anything at the bottom!, then we drop a little alcohol to the printhead, wait, and gently push the cartridge on a piece of fold paper tower (kind of using liquid to kick start the liquid flow.) We even use mouth, yes, mouth to pull the ink out - be careful not to digest it! Or better: mouth + a piece of tube, one end to your mouth and other end push against the printhead, pull. Lastly, use the cleaning circle on the printer --> there is a feature called "Clean Ink Cartridges", it will use the pump to prime the printhead, fill it with ink. You can find this feature on the HP software installed with your printer, or look in your manual for "Cleaning ....".

Some people with available pieces of plastic can make their own primer tool.

From the 2nd time refilling, we top-up from the 1st.

Last edited:

Barbogio

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Unfortunately the kit I bought does not contain a tool to remove air and maybe before to refill it passed a couple of days.

Do you think it is still possible to solve the problem wheter is the air in the nozzle chamber or the cartridge dry?

Thanks.

thanhhuy123

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Yes, I think.

Because you have left it dry for some day before refilling and of no tool to prime:

1. Purge the sponge: use the syringle and a small-G needle to push and pull distilled water/cleaning solution found on this forum (someone post the link please, I lost it somewhere...)/alcohol 70%... untill the water come out clean. It may help if you put the alcohol first, then use distiled water untill clean. Dry the sponge by using the syringle to pull out as much as possible the water.
2. Unclog the nozzle: drip alcohol on the printhead or soak the printhead (deep enough for the printhead plate to touch the liquid). Change the liquid when it get dirty.
3. Refill: you know it already, right? Remember to inject ink and or air :D
4. Kick-start: drip some drops of alcohol/ink (in case of black cartridge, don't do it for colour.) on the printhead. Use the Cleaning feature on your printer and perform 2 cleaning circles. Print the nozzle check and see. Perform additional cleaning circles if needed, but remember to top-up the ink first.

Remember: don't push the needle down too much as you may puncture something at the bottom.

Any inkjet master has anymore idea??

Tudor

Print Addict
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson L800, 1400; ML-2165W
@barbogio:

1. Where do you live?
2. Which cartridge are we talking about, black or color?
3. Is this the first time you refilled it?
4. What ink did you use for the refill?
5. How was the refill done?