HP designjet 120nr user guide/ driver

Tom Butterfield

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP designjet 120nr
Hi all, I have just acquired a designjet 120, I have never owed such a large printer before and I've not got the user manual. I was wondering if anyone would happen to have a PDF copy of the user guide, cannot seem to find online. Can only find service and parts manual. Also, I know it is as old machine and drivers will be hard to come by, am I correct in thinking that a generic driver will allow me to use the basic functions? Also I have no leads for it currently, is it best to connect by network cable or USB cable. I have not had the printer working yet as I didn't want to start it up without ink in it or an idea of how to work it.

Any help will be appreciated

Thanks

Tom

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Hi @Tom Butterfield and welcome, it’s nice to know you looked for help before diving in and doing something that could have damaged the printer first, most don’t.

Your best option is to search the HP website for drivers and manuals, but you’ll need the serial number of the printer to get anywhere, that said the newest drivers will be for XP, try running your computer in virtual mode for printer setup, if you have the correct driver you won’t need the manual.

You can connect up the printer with the USB cable, it will give you better control over many of the functions the printer has, and it would be advisable to get a set of compatibles cartridges instead of OEM’s because you’ll need to do a bit of driver cleaning maintenance to get a decent print from the machine...

Tom Butterfield

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP designjet 120nr
Hi @Tom Butterfield and welcome, it’s nice to know you looked for help before diving in and doing something that could have damaged the printer first, most don’t.

Your best option is to search the HP website for drivers and manuals, but you’ll need the serial number of the printer to get anywhere, that said the newest drivers will be for XP, try running your computer in virtual mode for printer setup, if you have the correct driver you won’t need the manual.

You can connect up the printer with the USB cable, it will give you better control over many of the functions the printer has, and it would be advisable to get a set of compatibles cartridges instead of OEM’s because you’ll need to do a bit of driver cleaning maintenance to get a decent print from the machine...

Thanks for the reply, very useful info regarding the virtual mode, didn't realise I could do that.. USB cable it is then for me, go some ink ordered, ill see how I get on.

Thanks

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Ata boy Tom, your now well on your way to becoming a Printaholic... :weee

Thank you for your feed back... ;)