1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Picture Of The Week (POW) Information and Submissions
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Official PK Poll: Is there any future in refilling?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. PK Featured Thread: Florida MG7720 Print problem...
    CLICK HERE!

Dismiss Notice

HP 6100 CISS priming the cartridges

Discussion in 'InkJet Continuous Flow Systems' started by ttgfish, Mar 1, 2015.

1. Mar 1, 2015
    ttgfish

ttgfish Printing Apprentice

Printer Model:
    hp 6100
    I am having difficulty priming the line/cartridges for my HP 6100 CISS. I have tried to pull the ink through with a syringe through the plug and through the the hole where the ink comes out. But the air comes right back in. None of the videos online match the cartridge I use.

Do I stick the syringe in without the needle into to ink port? Or use the needle?

Confused. IMG_0867.JPG IMG_0868.JPG

2. Mar 2, 2015
    ttgfish

Printer Model:
    hp 6100
    It's printing OK, but I have air in the lines except the black. will it be a problem long term?
    Any advice appreciated

3. Mar 2, 2015
    The Hat

The Hat Printer VIP Moderator

Printer Model:
    Canon Rule in My House
    Hi @ttgfish and welcome, I am surprised you didn’t get at least one reply to your questions.

I have not used a CISS for the last 5 years, plus I haven’t got a clue about an HP CISS, I would reckon you can use your syringe without the needle in the ink outlet port or just lower the carts one by one below the ink reservoir and allow the ink to flow back into the carts again till full.

You can catch the excess ink in a small container and put it back into the reservoir later if you wish, when you reinstall the carts again make sure that the ink reservoir bottles are level with the printer (Same height) and you secure the tubing properly before turning on the printer..

Smile likes this.
  4. Mar 3, 2015
    ttgfish

Printer Model:
    hp 6100
    Thank you! I will try the lowering of the cartridges and see what happens. I really appreciate the help. I will report back how it works out.

The Hat likes this.
  5. Mar 7, 2015
    ttgfish

Printer Model:
    hp 6100
    I tried the syringe in the outlet port, but it just would not fit and I was afraid I might break it.
    I tried the gravity approach and it worked at first, but then after a short time the air bubbles appeared at the junction of the tube and the cartridge again. The funny thing is that the computer seems to be printing fine despite the air.
    Thanks to you "the hat" for your time and advice!

The Hat likes this.
  6. Mar 17, 2015
    ttgfish

Printer Model:
    hp 6100
    Well that did not last. Still have air in the lines, except the black. Now no color printing.
    I did the gravity feed but once the cartridge is back in the air is back in. I also held the cartridge below the reservoir and drew ink through the fill plug with the syringe and while it was dripping out I replugged the hole. Still air...
    Frustrating.
    I wonder if there is a special attachment for the syringe to extract through the port? I'm going to look into that.

7. Mar 17, 2015
    ttgfish

Printer Model:
    hp 6100
  8. Mar 17, 2015
    ttgfish

Printer Model:
    hp 6100
    Im also wondering if I should have plugged the air intake instead of having that open? I had both open

9. Mar 18, 2015
    The Hat

The Hat Printer VIP Moderator

Printer Model:
    Canon Rule in My House
    If you do not have the CISS tubing secure enough while operating the printer it has a tendency to move around causing the cartridges to shake in the print head and this allows air to get in by way of the ink outlets, refillable cartridges maybe be a more reliable option..

10. Mar 18, 2015
    ttgfish

Printer Model:
    hp 6100
    I see what you are saying, but the air returns as soon as they are back in place prior to use.
    Refillable cartridges would be simpler I suppose, but I want to figure this out. A challenge you know. :)
    I ordered some adapters to be able to use the ink port to draw the ink out, so we will see.
    Weird thing is the black ink works perfectly.