How to select the right kind of paper for photo printing?

Harry Briels

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
EPSON Pro 3880 & Canon MX925
The papers that are being offered for photo printing have become very extensive and it has become complicated to understand "what to use when?".
I like to understand the kind/types of papers are being offered, and what to use in specific printing situations.
I looked this subject up in Internet but did mainly find a lot of superficial info of little or no value.
Only an article by "Breathing Color", by Renée Besta: "How to choose an inkjet paper for printing" (24 p) was helpful.

I would appreciate learning about interesting articles about this subject and even books.
Perhaps not important but I use an Epson Pro 3880.

Thank you for your response!
Harry

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I think you shouldn't make it too complicated - there are just a few questions to start with - who is viewing your prints - you, your family, a small group or other people - in public, in photo club whatever. You can start with some simple tests - print some of your favorite images onto a glossy, a semiglossy and a matte paper - judge the prints yourself and ask other people as well for their opinion and build up a feeling, a judgement from the comments you receive and balance them against your opinion - they are all not right or wrong but just different. Serious paper suppliers offer sample packs of their papers which gives you an easy way to compare a wide range of surface types (and prices). And you can then go and refine your paper selection e.g. by motive - which paper appeals more for a landscape shot or a portrait.
And then you come to some optinion that you may like a glossy surface best for flower shots and go off to the next step to narrow down for the 'best' - by your personal judgement - glossy paper - the weight can be different - the smoothness of the glossy surface can be different - and the price varies as well very much between those. And at the end you come to a conclusion that you like paper A most - for the gloss, the black level , the flatness whatever , but since it is the most expensive one you would use it only for a small selected number of prints, but there is a second paper B which is cheaper but as well a tad weaker at some criteria - it is your judgement and decision. Don't read too much - print and view and build up your own opinion, and at the end you have very good reasons why you use this or that paper.
Rather spend some money for sample papers and not for a book.

You are using a 3880 which is pretty important in this context, you'll find some effects between inks and papers - pigment inks may look different in regards to bronzing and gloss differences on different papers which makes this selection and judgement process more complicated, some ink /paper combination just don't go together very well. You may use some prints with Epson inks on Epson papers as a kind of reference, Epson for sure did optimize the look and performance of those.

And you may go to a photo exhibition to see what other people are doing - there are lots of factors to make a photo to stand out - the actual size - the lighting - the framing - the paper used for this particular motive. And then you make some comments yourself - that image is just too small - that's too much gloss and reflections on this big one etc.

Last edited:

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880
Hi Harry,

Did you ever solve your 3880 cartridge chip resetting problem?

As far as paper is concerned Ink Stained Fingers has stated the essentials. The rest is "Just Print and See". I also have the 3880. An incredible printer and almost impossible to make a bad print on it.

PAPER SELECTION
  • Personal choice and preference is a big factor usually relating to image and artistic effect.
  • At least 50% of a great printed image is the correct file preparation before printing.
  • Paper sample packs are a cheap way of sampling the product range.
  • Get to know the different types rather than brand name loyalty.
  • Paper is heavy and bulky. Consequently expensive to ship - shop close to home.
  • Find a couple of preferred grades/brands so that you can exploit discounts or competitive marketing.
  • Familiarity with a paper's characteristics and properties tends to improve your printed result.

Don't forget to have fun testing the papers.

rs