How to remove ICC profiles listed twice in the "Choose Profile Dialog" in LR

Harry Briels

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
EPSON Pro 3880 & Canon MX925
How can I remove ICC profiles listed twice, in the "Choose Profile Dialog" in Lightroom?
I made a mistake and installed some ICC profiles twice and these now show up twice with "2" attached to the ICC profile name.
Thanks for help!
Harry

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
Harry, I think you will find Lightroom is only listing the profiles you have installed in the Windows profile directory (C:/windows/system32/spool/drivers/color), if you delete the second copy from this folder your problem will disappear.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I don't know which op system you are running - probably Win7 or 8 or 10 ? It happens once in a while that profiles get installed at more than one place - e.g. as well in a program directory of some software - like LR. Just search your system for files of the type *.icc and *.icm on your system drive to locate all of them, and any duplicates should show up . Just remove the duplicates as advised above or directly in the search result window.

Last edited:

Harry Briels

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Sorry I should have mentioned that I use iMacOSSierra 10.12.13 and Lightroom 6.9.
I know that in iMac ICC's are stored in >Library >ColorSync >profiles, where the ICC's are only shown once.
In Lightroom: >Print Mode >Print Job >Color Management >Profile >other: a list appears: with heading "Choose Profile to appear in the Popup"
In this list some of the ICC's show up twice (the second one ending with "2").

I wasn't sure that I had installed all ICC's I will need, so I installed for the second time expecting that this would only be possible for ICC's not yet installed the first time.
But that doesn't seem to be the way it works in this list in Lightroom?

I now have 9 Epson ICC's and 9 Hahnemühle ICC's that are being installed twice.
I tried to delete these double ICC's in the list but that doesn't seem to be possible.

I would like to know how I can delete these ICC's showing "2" at the end of the ICC-name.
Thanks for help!
Harry

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
OK, I use WIN10, but the sub folder structure lists all the profiles and in that list I found one duplicate entry which had (2) on the end.

In LR (6.9) I followed your detailed directions and found exactly the same as you described. On the left side of the "other" list, there are small boxes with a tick against the profiles that have been selected for display in LR. These can be un-ticked and I guess that when un-ticked, it may be possible to delete them, in my case, in the Windows "color" folder, but as yet I have not tried this.

Harry Briels

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Begin situations: in Lightroom in "Choose Profiles to appear in the Popup" some Hahnemühle and all Epson ICC's show up twice.
After each step described hereafter, I did close down and restart Lightroom.

1) When I removed the Epson ICC's from "Library >ColorSync >Profiles" this removes all double files with (2)'s from both the Epson and from the Hahnemühle ICC's.
The Epson ICC's although removed from ColorSync, still show up in Lightroom's "Choose Profiles to appear in the Popup" alongside the Hahnemühle ICC's. (So there are no Epson ICC's in ColorSync anymore, but they are not removed from "Choose Profiles to appear in the Popup"!)

2) However when I now also remove the Hahnemühle ICC's from ColorSync, these Hahnemühle ICC's disappear from Lightroom's "Choose Profiles to appear in the Popup"
When I put these Hahnemühle ICC's back in ColorSync they also do show up again in Lightroom's "Choose Profiles to appear in the Popup"

A strange situation I can not understand?
Why can I remove the Epson ICC's from ColorSync without removing these from Mightroom's "Choose Profiles to appear in the Popup" and why can't I do the same with the Hahnemühle ICC's?
Is it possible that the Epson ICC's are also somewhere else other than in ColorSync?
Harry

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
Hi Harry, I can understand why you are puzzled!
Have you tried IS Fingers suggestion of a search to see just how many copies there are? It may be there are hidden attributes on some profiles that prevent removal.

I did come across this:-

Mac
Mac OS 9.x:
Systems folder/ColorSync profiles
Mac OS X:
Library/ColorSync/Profiles – this will make the profile
available to all users, if you do not have admin privileges
you will need to install the profile under your username;
users/<username>/library/ColorSync/Profiles
Mac OS X 10.7.3 and above:
The profiles folder is hidden by
default, to use ICC profiles you will need to temporarily unhide
it, there are two options to do this.
Option-Go:
Click the Go menu and hold down the Option
(alt) key. The user’s Library shows as a selection in the menu,
and clicking it brings you to the correct folder. There is no
hot-key combination to open the folder directly, so using the
mouse and clicking is required. (This is the easiest option)
Go to Folder:
Select Go to Folder under the Finder’s Go
menu or simply press Shift-Option-G from within the Finder.
Type ~/Library as the Go-to location, then click Go.

You can use the ColorSync- Utility too. Klik on Devices and click on a profile to see its location.

Last edited:

Harry Briels

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
I use "macOS Sierra 10.12.3".

I am sorry that I am not well understanding the steps you recommend taking! It is not clear to me what the starting position is

When I what to to go to "Colorsync >profiles" I just go to >Finder >Library >ColorSync >Profiles.
Noting seems to be hidden?

In >Library >ColorSync >Profiles I find all the ICC profiles I have downloaded and then copied into >Library >ColorSync >Profiles. These same ICC profiles do show up in Lightroom >Print mode >Color Management >Profile ("Choose profiles....")

Perhaps I am making a mistake in the way I handle (copying) these downloaded profiles?

Thank you for your help!
Harry

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
As I have never been a Mac OS user, I am afraid I am not much help.

Hopefully, a Mac expert will jump in here!:)

Harry Briels

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
I just want to let you know that problems as discussed hereabove, have been solved!

When one installs in the Epson Pro 3880, the Epson driver, all Epson ICC profiles are automatically installed in ColorSync.
But they seem to be more or less hidden in ColorSync, certainly for somebody like myself who doesn't is a good observer!

So installing (which as I understood, means 'downloading and copying' other ICC profiles from other paper suppliers, like Hahnemühle, into "ColorSync") shows these new ICC's clearly, whereas the Epson ICC's are hidden.
This inspires to downloading these Epson files and copying into ColorSync.
But this in fact is the second time, resulting in that in Lightroom the Epson files are presented twice!
I am - which is promising - still learning!
Harry