How to properly store fresh refilled carts?

Magic

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma IP7250
How do you store your feshly refilled oem carts for a longer period of time?
Clips with rubberband and rubbers pins for the refill hole is clear to me. But do you also close the opening of the air channel system, vent, again with some type of tape? Or do you leave it open?

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
I tried closing the hole drilled for the "german method" and the vent with aluminum tape (used for ventilation channels), but it is difficult to obtain a complete seal.

I leave them (again) open and have no problems, except when transporting over longer distances (maybe due to altitude changes).

Always pack refilled carts in a sealed plastic bag.

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
But do you also close the opening of the air channel system, vent, again with some type of tape? Or do you leave it open?
I now always stored mine with just the orange clip fixed to the carts with rubber bands, I leave the air vent hole uncovered, that has always work for me, 14 years on...
But I once tried sealing the air vent on a few of my carts, and they leaked, so never again....:ep

kdsdata

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro-100 & Brother-L8900
Kind of ditto. No extra tape, etc, just the orange clip and the fill-hole plug. Then I store the refilled carts in a Zip-Lock bag, but squeeze out as much air as possible. HOWEVER, there are different Zip-Lock bags. Some use material that vent vegetables or fruit gases. So I look for the "freezer" bags. The bags seem to be a clear material. Not like others that are cloudy looking material.

On the one hand I have no proof it helps that I store the carts in the same orientation (gravitationally) as in the printer. On the other hand I would say it doesn't hurt. Longest has been 9 months storage, and no problems to report.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3

Photographic Memory

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 100S
Remember my issue? In an enclosed tupperware box is where I had problems. Probably was the layer of Isopropyl Alcohol soaked paper towel, but ever since that (overly cautious) fiasco I leave the lid (on the tupperware box) slightly ajar. And no fancy "sterile" chemicals. Working just fine thus far (no leaks, silicone cap popping out even though sealed with PVC tape)

PalaDolphin

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, HP 7760, RX500
Remember my issue? In an enclosed tupperware box is where I had problems. Probably was the layer of Isopropyl Alcohol soaked paper towel, but ever since that (overly cautious) fiasco I leave the lid (on the tupperware box) slightly ajar. And no fancy "sterile" chemicals. Working just fine thus far (no leaks, silicone cap popping out even though sealed with PVC tape)
What exactly was the problem?