How To Get The Preview On Top?

Mowerman90

Print Addict
Reaction score
I've got an Artisan 837 and I like using the preview screen before I commit to print anything. Why? Because of the variety of things I print. How many times have I printed a letter sized document on 4X6
photo paper....er...let me count. Anyway, I'd like for the preview screen to always be on top instead of buried under the picture or document that's being printed. I can't tell you the number of times I've sat waiting for a document to print only to realize that I hadn't pressed the print button on the preview page because it was out of sight.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
If you are referring to a Canon printer but I imagine it’s the same on most other printers also, here is the answer for your Canon printer anyway.

Go into Devices and Printers on your Start Menu and select the printer you want to use, then go to Printer Properties and select the Preferences button, then select the Main Tab and this is where you change your printer to always use preview first.
Preview Print.jpg (Click to enlarge)

Tick the Preview box and then click the Apply button, now whenever you click print in any application you’ll get a Print Preview window before you commit anything to paper ok.

If you wish to turn off the Preview just reverse the procedure.

Be warned dough that while this Preview procedure is enabled in your print driver it may affect the quality of your photos in some applications.

Mowerman90

Print Addict
Reaction score
Sorry Hat, my question was for my Epson Artisan 837. I have a Canon also and don't have any problems with it showing the preview. I want the Epson to enable the preview just like my Canon does.

Lucas28

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Pigment
Hi Mowerman. The Epson has a preview box to tick just like Canon has. I showed it with an arrow in the main menu. It can also be found in the advanced menu.

292mbd5.jpg

Mowerman90

Print Addict
Reaction score
Lucas,
Yes, I know it has a preview box just like Canon. What I asked was once you press the "Print" button in your application how do you get the actual preview screen to be on top of all other windows?

Mowerman90

Print Addict
Reaction score
Maybe this will make it easier for you to understand. When I press print in PS, I then have to click the button in the taskbar to bring the print preview up as the top window. Screenshot #1.

What I want is for the print preview to
Untitled-1.jpg
Untitled-1.jpg
be the uppermost window without having to click anything in the taskbar and have it show as seen in screenshot #2

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Is there a way to go into properties of the print preview window itself and select "always on top" or some such thing?

Mowerman90

Print Addict
Reaction score
Stratman,

No, unfortunately. I'm figuring that the only way to get what I want is to hack into the registry and I'm not about to do that without explicit instructions.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I don't know Epsons and so cannot be of assistance. While waiting for someone to provide assistance here, consider email or tech support call to Epson. :idunno

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I think that the active window on top is standard Windows behaviour. I have used TV tuners with my computers, and the window from the TV tuner application could could be set to "always on top", but I think this feature was written into the application program, as it is not standard Windows behaviour.

I don't know if the Epson software has the option to select "always on top" for the print preview window.

Last edited: