How To Flush A Single Line On Epson 3880

Ian Barber

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson R3880
All my ink carts are OEM apart from one (LLK).

I want to go back to just using OEM inks and would like to know the best way to flush all the Non Oem ink from just the LLK line so I can start to use the OEM cart again.

RogerB

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Pro3880
All my ink carts are OEM apart from one (LLK).

I want to go back to just using OEM inks and would like to know the best way to flush all the Non Oem ink from just the LLK line so I can start to use the OEM cart again.
Unfortunately there is no way to flush individual lines. The best you can do is to download QuadToneRIP which gives you control of each ink channel. By defining a "curve" in QTR you can force the printer to use only the LLK ink. You can then print a few A4 pages (cheap plain paper) which will use about 1ml per page. I can help you out with the curve if necessary.

Ian Barber

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson R3880
By defining a "curve" in QTR you can force the printer to use only the LLK ink.

Thanks Roger, this is exactly what I ended up doing in the end.

On a side note, are you a QTR user

RogerB

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Pro3880
Thanks Roger, this is exactly what I ended up doing in the end.

On a side note, are you a QTR user
Yes, I've been using it for ten years probably. Not just as a print application but the tools are very useful in analysing/optimising printing parameters.

Ian Barber

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson R3880
I moved over to QTR about 6 months ago but to be honest, I am struggling to get a neutral print.

I am also finding it difficult to get my head around adjusting the ink limits. The Yahoo forum is ok but sometimes not that helpful

RogerB

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Pro3880
I moved over to QTR about 6 months ago but to be honest, I am struggling to get a neutral print.

I am also finding it difficult to get my head around adjusting the ink limits. The Yahoo forum is ok but sometimes not that helpful
If you're using OEM inks there should be some stock curves that will work for you, but I must admit that I rely heavily on my i1Pro when I have to generate a new curve. Setting ink limits is also so much easier if you have a spectro.

Ian Barber

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson R3880
What I am trying to do is create a Neutral print from some paper stock which is Not shipped with QTR

Do you start with the ink separation targets first.?

RogerB

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Pro3880
What I am trying to do is create a Neutral print from some paper stock which is Not shipped with QTR

Do you start with the ink separation targets first.?
The ink separation is the critical part of the process, starting with the black to determine the maximum ink load for the paper. I use cropped versions of the ink separation images so that I only need to print the three blacks - saves a lot of paper!

There are a few tutorials around that cover the process but to get the ultimate out of it you really need some kind of measuring device.

Ian Barber

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson R3880
There are a few tutorials around that cover the process but to get the ultimate out of it you really need some kind of measuring device.

Would the X-Rite Color-Munki be capable of measuring the targets properly

RogerB

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Pro3880
Last edited:

Latest posts