How to avoid Epson 3880 going to sleep or swithcing off?

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880
I am going away for a month or so and want to leave my 3880 to print nozzle checks every week or so using the Qimage Nozzle check pattern.

Every thing has worked OK in short term tests of a couple of hours or so. When I extend the time to 12 hours or so my 3880 seems to go to sleep or switch off after a few hours.

I cannot find a switch or control setting in the menus to adjust this, and am asking if anybody has any ideas.

Is it something in the printer menu, or a feature in windows 10?

In windows 10 I have set the monitor display to switch off after 10 minutes, but the computer never.

Last night the test failed again because the printer switched OFF during the night.

I leave tomorrow morning, so this is a final "Hail Mary" request.

rs

akramjef

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
epson p50 printer
With the printer first turned OFF, hold down the Cancel/Reset (Dustbin icon) button whilst simultaneously pressing the Power button, the printer should enter the Maintenance Mode Menu, which offers you 4 choices:

1. Language

2. Unit

3. Power Off Timer

4. Default Panel
you can set the timer off.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
@Roy Sletcher, even if you can’t get the printer to stay on longer than 12 hours after inactivity, you can still work with that, it’s not ideal but travellers can’t be choosers.

Set the printer to do a test print every 11.75 hours and the machine should still be churning out sheets when you get back, good luck and have a nice vacation, O’ you could send your printer a postcard by email to show you care... :hugs

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
I am going away for a month or so and want to leave my 3880 to print nozzle checks every week or so using the Qimage Nozzle check pattern.

Every thing has worked OK in short term tests of a couple of hours or so. When I extend the time to 12 hours or so my 3880 seems to go to sleep or switch off after a few hours.

I cannot find a switch or control setting in the menus to adjust this, and am asking if anybody has any ideas.

Is it something in the printer menu, or a feature in windows 10?

In windows 10 I have set the monitor display to switch off after 10 minutes, but the computer never.

Last night the test failed again because the printer switched OFF during the night.

I leave tomorrow morning, so this is a final "Hail Mary" request.

rs
I'm in ottawa today. Maybe I can come around and take your printer with me back to toronto tonite and I promise to keep it exercised over that period!

My 3880 has gone on long periods I recall even a month without use with no adverse effects.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
With the printer first turned OFF, hold down the Cancel/Reset (Dustbin icon) button whilst simultaneously pressing the Power button, the printer should enter the Maintenance Mode Menu, which offers you 4 choices:

1. Language

2. Unit

3. Power Off Timer

4. Default Panel
you can set the timer off.
In my reading, the user manual for the Epson 3880 does not list these functions and is why I did not comment earlier. But forum member akramjef's post gave me more info to search on - Maintenance Mode Menu.

It is alleged the date of manufacture of the printer and NOT the firmware update that determines the ability to adjust anything more than Language and Unit (of measurement) in the Maintenance Mode Menu according to the following exchange:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52980230

Read through all of soloryb's comments made in January 2014 to get to the alleged issue:

As my previous post says, I was unable to get the Power Off Timer feature as an item in the 3880 maintenance menu - even after updating the firmware to p030d8. I just got off the phone with Epson and a tech told me that the firmware update will give you that Power Off Timer feature only on newer 3880 printers. My 1-year old 3880 is apparently too old.

Sounds like Epson made changes to the printer during its manufacturing run. Not unusual.

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880
Thanks for all the advice guys I did not get to see any replied before left home at 9.00am this morning.

Now in a hotel in Quebec and see all the helpful replies.

This is on me, I should have posted my request a couple of days ago.

I am not too worried as I left the printer for five weeks in May this year, and it fired up with only a minor blockage in the cyan during an automated nozzle check. It cleared immediately.

These are annual trips and to date the good old Canon Pro 100 just keeps on "truckin" after 4-6 weeks of inactivity..

Honestly. I think I could put that thing in a freezer and it would still produce a clean nozzle check.

I am guessing the quality of Precision Color inks may also be a help in this regard.:)

rs

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
When you prepare Qimage to print the nozzle checks with a defined frequency unattended over a longer time period should test that for the (unprobable) case of a short power shortage. Your computer needs to boot again, Qimage needs to start via an autostart entry and your printer should power up as well in that situation, or that setup may not run anymore at the time of your return.