How do I get the absolute best out of my Epson R1800

fstopeleven

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I am a photographer who uses this printer for the majority of my work. I want to really set it up properly to use proper profiles and be calibrated with my vdu. I do have a spyder 2.

My old teacher was telling me about forced postscripting by software (To emulate postscript in non postscript printers) and also something about a rip or rip server.

Can anyone shed some light on these and if it is possible to do this with my machine and where I can go for more information regarding the above

Thank you.

Jonathan.

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
fstopeleven,

Google for lots of links on RIPs (Raster Image Processors) - e.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raster_image_processor

External RIPs are normally only for the hard core printer who has very special needs. Here are typical prices for this software for single Epson printers:(http://www.ripmall.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=13)

Today's printers have their own RIPs included in their firmware to accept R/G/B color data and convert it to C/Y/M/K for the printer. Your calibrated monitor coupled with custom profiles for your printer/ink/papers shouldn't need an external RIP to achieve a color managed workflow. This wasn't necessarily true in the past, and that's probably what your old teacher was referring to. You can buy a custom printer profile for about $40 - give it a try before spending big money on a RIP.

easyrefill

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Glenn,

Here is a link I find very helpful about how to use the ICC profiles. Turning the color management off is also an important part to useing the ICC profiles. In your case, you probably have to make your own profiles.

easyrefill